1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

15-day disabled list vs. 60-day disabled list?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gold, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Gold

Gold Active Member

need some help here.

What is the difference between the 15-day disabled list and the 60-day disabled list, beside the obvious that one is 15 days and one is 60 days. What are the restrictions and requirements? I think Hideki Matsui and Gary Sheffield are both on the 15-day disabled list, even though it seemed obvious that both would be out for more than 60 days.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of each list? Why wouldn't a team just put somebody on the 60-day disabled list if they know they aren't going to play for 60 days? How are rehab assignments affected?

Appreciate any information.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I think putting someone on the 60-day DL allows a team to add another man to the 40-man roster. I may be wrong, though, so I'll let some of our baseball guys chime in.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I'm guessing -- and granted, this is a guess -- the advantage of using the 15-day DL is that you could bring back someone as soon as they're ready. If you placed someone on the 60-day DL and they're ready early, too bad, you have to wait to bring him back when he's eligible to come off the DL.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Yes, you can add someone to your 40-man roster if you place another player on the 60-day DL.

And Oz I don't think you can yank someone off the 15-day DL before their 15 days is up. Of course, if a player hasn't played in four or five days when you place him on there, you can do it retroactively.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Pretty much all above are right. Someone on the 60-day DL doesn't count as being on the 40-man roster, so you can call up a minor leaguer or sign someone else that wasn't originally on the 40-man to take their place. However once they're activated, someone else must be DFA'ed, unless you're already under 40-players on the roster.

6. Gold

Gold Active Member

Thanks.. Next question from reading the posts - is there a limit to the number of players who can be on the 60-day disabled list.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

No limits, just lots of bad luck if you're stashing players there. It generally means it's an uphill battle for .500.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

Now, if you want to know how to categorize injuries requiring a trip to the DL, a hangnail is good for 15 days if it's not on the throwing hand, 60 days if it is.

9. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

15 DL is to 60 as Billy Mayfair is to John Wayne Bobbitt.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

11. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Very nicely analogized.

12. Didn't there used to be a 21-day Dl as well, at least until the mid-80s.

Draft saved Draft deleted