1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

$15-20K/year FT position

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Wander_mutt, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Paynendearse

Paynendearse Member

But back in the day, they' tell you: "But you can get ALL THE OVERTIME you want." Not today.

2. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Nice to finally see some people who appreciate their jobs rather than bitching and moaning about them.

I've done this nearly 25 years and I've loved it. I hate to see it end, although I know it is coming sooner rather than later. It's been a great ride, and I'll ride it out until it's over. It was my choice to be "used" as it has so eloquently been put. I know I'll miss it when it's over but I'll never regret doing something I've loved --- low pay, crappy benefits, shitty hours and all.

I Should Coco likes this.
  3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I didn't hate the job. I hated the big picture fact that I reached a point where there seemed to be no future whatsoever, and I had gotten to the point in my life where that big picture mattered. The old model of moving up has disappeared. The "next step" sort of papers that would be perfect fits for my experience and skill level haven't hired in years. I could have been content at my most recent gig, but the fact that we hadn't even gotten a cost of living raise in seven years made that situation untenable long term. I applaud those who are sticking it out and who have found decent financial situations. That just wasn't reality for me.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Maybe more of us would appreciate our jobs if the company showed that they appreciated us.

5. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

One of my former co-workers used to design the Sunday sports section when he was in his mid-20s and probably put in 10 hours of OT during a "normal" week (including a 12-hour Saturday). He also put in his share of six-day weeks during times of vacations, staff vacancies, etc. He did this for several years and wound up making enough money to buy a house, which he and his family still live in. Those were the days ...

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I used to say the same thing. No one loved being a journalist more than I did.

Now, a few years removed from it, I don't miss it at all. And, I absolutely regret doing it as long as I did. In fact, it's one of my biggest regrets in a life full of regret-worthy actions.

I don't regret doing the actual job. I regret loving it so much it blinded me to the truth as to how much abuse I took.

Riptide and YankeeFan like this.
  7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

If yours doesn't, find one that will.

It's up to you, not ''them.''

SBR likes this.
  8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I see, so it's a business relationship. Then why should we be "appreciating" our jobs?

9. BTExpress

The same reason I appreciate waking up in the morning, being able to breathe and see and hear and walk without any pain whatsoever.

Because millions of others aren't so lucky.

The key to happiness really is lost on you, isn't it?

There's nothing wrong or even contradictory about appreciating what you have while still looking out for something possibly better.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

If only people were so lucky to spend 4 years in college, have considerable debt at the end and earn 20,000 a year. Yes, sounds amazing.

SFIND, YankeeFan and LongTimeListener like this.
  11. SBR

SBR Member

If you don't appreciate your job then what the fuck are you doing it for? Go to JC Penney, buy a tie and be a bank teller. Move to North Dakota and make 5 grand a week working in the oil fields. Take a truck-driving course. Go to the police academy.

There are a million jobs out there to do if you just want money. This ain't one of them.

12. BTExpress

I've thought about taking it easy being a Uber driver.

But my cars are way too old. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted