1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

$15-20K/year FT position

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Wander_mutt, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Wander_mutt

Wander_mutt New Member

Was browsing jobs and saw this listing offering $15-20K/year for a full time position. Yes, it's a small, "growing," paper, but from what I can tell is just outside of Indianapolis.

JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Reporter / Paginator

I started in the business about 15 years ago and this is about 35% less than what I was making at a paper much more out in the boonies. Not sure what the circulation is at this paper but, man, just seeing that low number was shocking!

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Do they pay for dog walking?

jr/shotglass, dixiehack, Ace and 5 others like this.
  3. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

There's another $15,000-$20,000 full-time job in Colorado currently being skewered on the Jobs board.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I made a little less than that in my first newspaper job. Of course, that was in 1983.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Noblesville is a crazy-fast growing suburb north of Indy. You'll burn a quarter of that salary on gas while sitting in traffic.

Potter likes this.
  6. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

How the hell does anyone live off $1,250-$1,667 a month?

7. Mauve_Avenger

Mauve_Avenger Member

Seriously, would $15,000 per year even be minimum wage? I just typed in $7.50 for 40 hours per week over 52 weeks and it was $15,600.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The pay's not great, but it's better for your complexion than dunking fries.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You can't be a person with a college degree and think this is a good option. You just can't.

10. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Not to reveal my exact salary, but I'm in the $25k to $30k range. Single, no kids, not a ton of debt, and the margin is razor thin on a month to month basis even for me. Unless you have zero debt, I have no clue how people make it work making $5,000 to $15,000 LESS than me.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Go on food stamps.

12. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, I'm guessing the $15-20K range is a product of JJobs' system of dividing jobs into ranges at $5,000 increments. Probably when they came online, you had jobs in the $15K range (I was offered one in 2001), but I'd think by now it's mostly jobs in the high teens to 20K. Which is still godawful for a college degree-bearing position in 2015. Either they're looking for local kids who'll live at home or perhaps retired types looking for something to while away the time and make a little money on the side.

Draft saved Draft deleted