1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

148th Open Championship Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

If I could ever go on a one-week heater like the one Dylan Frittelli is on, just playing with my buddies, I'd give up the game for good.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Jesus, hang 'em up, David Duval.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This is the only major Duval plays in (former champs eligible until age 60). I have no idea why. He does enter a couple of Tour events each year I guess on sponsor's exemptions. Again, why? But he's always been, well, inner-directed let's say. That's not criticism, he follows his heart. But if your heart leads you to a 14 on a hole, maybe you should stop listening to it.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Exactly. Weekend golf is just that, weekend golf. No one is winning anything unless we’re playing skins or some other game “to make it interesting.”

Wedding day, playing w couple of buddies and two are real hacks/beginners but we’re playing team skins high AND low, on 18 I’m cheering my cuz “come on bud sink this for a 9 and we win the match!”

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

If I'm playing with my brothers, we max out at a double par.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Hey, we don’t need hackers to sweat over an 8 or a 9 or to see what would happen on 3 ball OB.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Why did Doug Ford and Billy Casper play the Masters as long as they did.
    Best answer to that is one our columnist got from Ford when he asked in the late 1990s why Ford kept showing up at Augusta.
    "Because I won the fucking thing," he said.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Jordan Spieth made a nice little run today. As did Tommy Fleetwood. So looking forward to sitting down with a bloody mary on Sunday and watching the final round.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The thing with Spieth is he hasn't been able to four good rounds in a row together. He's done this lately, then faded on weekends.

11. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Remember Willie Mays in the 1973 World Series? That looked just like Tiger Woods walking off the 18th green at Royal Portrush today. That Masters win looks more and more like a last hurrah to me.

misterbc likes this.
  12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I just saw a bit of him these last two days, but isn't this what he looked like during the Ryder Cup last year? Out of it?

Draft saved Draft deleted