1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

143rd Belmont Stakes

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by holy bull, Jun 11, 2011.

1. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

In the three stakes sprints, YES. Justin Phillip, Trappe Shot and It's Tricky all had clean faces at the wire.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I've been avoiding this thread because I hadn't had much time to really study the race. I think I'm going with Nehro over AK and Stay Thirsty over those two and Master of Hounds. No money on it, which means that's how it will go. :D

3. imjustagirl

DAMN YOU VELAZQUEZ!

4. imjustagirl

Dude, I hope Shackleford is OK. That was not a general "lost my speed and am dropping through the field" kind of drop.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Who beat?

6. imjustagirl

Something named Ruler of Ice, paying $51.50 on a $2 win bet. Ridden by a jockey of whom I'd never heard. :D

7. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

The superfecta paid something like $74,000.

8. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

$74,052.00, to be exact.

Animal Kingdom ran pretty valiantly considering he stumbled shortly after the gate, then Velazquez lost his left iron for a few strides. Hence, 15 lengths back.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

the horses are among the millions of things i know nothing about but seems to me 'animal kingdom' showed great heart recovering just to get into the picture down the stretch. was he clealy considered the best horse going in? ???

10. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

He was considered the best based on his Derby win and Preakness second to Shackleford, but nothing is ever "clear" about the Belmont, it seems. Throw the wet conditions into the mix, and the race was a tough puzzle.

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

oh, i understand all that. and certainly no one now thinks 'ruler of ice' is the best 3-year-old of 2011. i'm just sayin' that from what these blind eyes saw, 'animal kingdom' was the best horse in this race. is this generally considered true or has no 3-year-old yet grabbed hold of that designation?

12. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Based on the fact that he finished sixth after all the misadventures at the start, you could make a strong argument that he was the best horse in the race, sure.

Meanwhile, I wouldn't be surprised if Ruler On Ice is one of these Belmont winners who never wins another race, at least not a big one, the rest of his career (see: Da'Tara)

Draft saved Draft deleted