1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

140th Kentucky Derby thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RedHotChiliPrepper, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Shit ...I hope NBC extends them into election coverage.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Perhaps filling in if Pierre McGuire needs a day outside the glass?

3. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

See, but someone like my wife - who only has a casual interest in horse racing (because I have a major interest) - ate that stuff up. I imagine for many women it was the same way.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It's like the Oscars. The fashion show red carpet element is part of the Derby and always has been. BTW, Jamie's Foxx's multicolored patchwork seersucker suit with bow tie was a highly unfortunate fashion statement.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

they got extra time deducted from their overall time if the finish the last half mile faster than the first half mile since the horses get tired as the race goes on

6. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) - Churchill Downs says total wagering on this year's Kentucky Derby race card tied an all-time record.
    On-track wagering on the Derby and the day's entire race program at the track were higher than a year ago.
    The figures show the world's most famous horse race remains a cash cow for the track's parent company.
    California Chrome won the Run for the Roses on Saturday. The race drew a crowd of 164,906, the second-largest in the Derby's 140-year history.
    Churchill Downs says wagering from all sources on the Derby race card totaled $186.6 million, tying the record set in 2012.
    On-track wagering on the Derby program reached $23.4 million, up 11 percent from last year.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Not the Derby, and from back in late March, but this is amazing.

10-year-old was forever behind the pack, and then ...

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=682574511784272

8. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

From a race in 2013? Did someone lose the video and find it a year later?

Draft saved Draft deleted