1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

14 Songs You Should Never Play In A Bar

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Jun 20, 2008.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Electric Slide, Cha-Cha Slide, Macarena, Chicken Dance, and every one of those other ridiculous dances was banned from my wedding reception.
    However the fun of watching guests do YMCA was allowed.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Someone keeps playing Jeff Buckley's Hallelujah at the watering hole I frequent. I want to kill that person.

3. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

There's not a bar in my town with a jukebox. I find that to be a tragedy.

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

My wife and I said no Chicken Dance at our reception. But during the band's break, the singer came up to us and said she had gotten a LOT of requests for it, so she wanted to make sure we still didn't want her to do it. At that point, we said, what the hell, just do it. We didn't want to hear, for the rest of our lives, from relatives outraged that we wouldn't let them do the fucking chicken dance.

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Wrong choice. You should have said "it's our wedding, we don't want to hear it, so don't play it". And tell your relatives "It was our party and we didn't want to hear it, sorry you didn't get your chicken dance"

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

No, not wrong. For two minutes of chicken dancing, I get a lifetime of peace. I should mention that just about all my wife's family -- her South Side Chicago Irish Catholic family (i.e., huge) -- lives within a 30-minute radius of us. And that they were all very generous with their wedding gifts. Weighing that, making a big stink over the chicken dance seemed, well, a little dickish.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

If you don't want your guests to enjoy themselves, why go through the trouble and expense of having a reception?

8. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

We've been married so long the chicken dance wasn't an issue. However, Mr. Tart did tell the DJ that if he played Stairway to Heaven, he wouldn't get paid.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The real challenge is being able to sing "It's The End of the World As We Know It (and I Feel Fine)," "Subterranean Homesick Blues," "Blinded By The Light" and "I Am The Walrus ('No You're Not,' Said Little Nicola)" word-for-word, back-to-back-to-back-to-back. ;)
    [/quote]

And then recite Alice's Restaurant.
    [/quote]

If I ever hear Alice Restaurant in a bar again I might smash the jukebox. They couldn't play that enough at (now burned-down) Mickey's in Bennington. Drove me nuts.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

And then recite Alice's Restaurant.
    [/quote]

If I ever hear Alice Restaurant in a bar again I might smash the jukebox. They couldn't play that enough at (now burned-down) Mickey's in Bennington. Drove me nuts.
    [/quote]

But, 'Du, if you find a place that has it on the juke, how are you supposed to resist?

Draft saved Draft deleted