1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

14 dead in N. Texas bus wreck

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Happened before 1 a.m. last night. Twelve dead on the scene and two others so far have died at hospitals.

http://shd.live.mediaspanonline.com/hd/News/BUS-WRECK

Nobody so far has mentioned that 10 people died in a truck-car collision barely a mile from this location less than four years ago.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spe/2006/transportation/stories/022606dntswsherman1_26pro.State.Edition1.2a9297b.html

2. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Re: 14 dead in bus wreck

Wow ... the picture of the bus.

I've taken many charter buses. My dad drove one for a few years for the local college's basketball team while he finished up his master's degree.

Every time I see a story like this, makes me think about the numerous trips I took. I'm also reminded of a story my dad tells of a late-night return trip. They were on a dead stretch of interstate in Illinois. Most of the bus is asleep. Dad's doing 60-65 down the road and sees a semi ahead start to drift across a few lanes away from oncoming traffic. Then it jerks back toward oncoming traffic, and it's going to cut across the highway. Dad realizes he can't stop in time, so he punches the accelerator and moves as far right on the shoulder as he can. He still isn't sure how the semi missed clipping the bus, which would've gone through a spin that would have Maverick and Goose envious.

They get home and as the last of the guys are stepping off the bus, one says: "Thanks for saving us back there, Papa BBAM. I saw the light coming at me."
    Another guy turns with this confused look on his face: "What happened?"

Those late night, early morning, bus trips are absolutely dangerous.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I love those stories. I still remember Ashy Larry talking about the time a rogue tire was bounding toward him and his windshield/

4. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

This reminds me of a bus ride my pop warner football teamates and I were on, driving to a game out in Staten Island.

It was one of those yellow school buses and while we were driving, I saw one of the wheels of the bus rolling along opposite from us when I looked through the windo.

One of my teammates, seeing the same thing, yelled "The wheel came off the bus" and the entire bus full of players when into flip mode. I put on my helmet and crouched onto the seat with my head tucked in between my legs like a straight b itch. Thankfully, our skilled bus driver and gods work saved our asses since we were on the part of the BQE (bronx-queens expressway)that was on the underpass part of the highway and the driver had the bus skid alongside the wall. Had we been driving along the overpass up the road the entire bus woudl've flipped over and we all would've been next days headlines.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

The AP story mentions the other wreck.

Pretty messed up situation. It reminded me of that college baseball team who's bus crashed in Atlanta.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Way to go; y'all crashed the Sherman paper's website. How the hell am I gonna look up Honey Grove's football stats now? :)

7. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Forget the Warriors. What about the Tom Bean Tomcats?

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

That alone made me not want to read the story.

Wow.

9. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Death toll now at 15.

Draft saved Draft deleted