1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

13-year-old motorcycle racer killed at Indianapolis Motor Speedway

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I was there and it was probably the saddest day in my career.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

Absolutely horrible. Thoughts and prayers to his family and friends.

As the father of three sons, one of whom is 13, I simply cannot imagine what they are going through right now.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Motor sports are brutal. You watch it for a while and begin to think that despite the speed and danger involved - it is relatively safe. When someone dies on the track, whether in NHRA, NASCAR, Indy cars or something like this, it really hits you in the gut and makes you rethink your interest in the sport.
    I imagine football would be the same way if there was a graphic they could attach to each player where you could see his life expectancy decrease as a game, or season, progressed. We know it is happening - but we try not to think about it.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Kids that young do not need to drive 120 MPH, climb Everest or sail around the world.

RIP, but this is a damn shame.

6. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Imagine how the 12-year-old who ran him over feels. Lots of hugs needed there.

7. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

I was watching some of the Steelers-Broncos game last night, and Joe Buck and Troy Aikman were talking about how the Steelers' center is carrying on a tradition that was led by Mike Webster, a Hall of Famer.

Uh, the same Mike Webster who died from head injuries suffered from all the pounding he took on the football field?

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I understand the kid was an experienced racer and loved doing it - but you have to wonder where his parents drew the line. If not for the kid's sake, for their own desire to see him grow up, graduate high school, get married, have kids.
    There is just too much stuff out of a motor sports racer's control - it doesn't matter how skilled you are - you still have to depend on too many other people not to screw up in order for a safe ride.

Draft saved Draft deleted