1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

13-year-old boy can play field hockey on girls team

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, May 15, 2012.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Because the subject line "Boys in kilts" might send the wrong message:

http://espn.go.com/new-york/story/_/id/7933109/new-york-boy-keeling-pilaro-play-girls-field-hockey-team

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I still think it would have been a better story if the kid in question resembled "Big Jim Slade"

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/90029/

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

OK, couldn't tell it was a d_b from the thread title ... Moddy, yours for the mercy killing.

5. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

Back in the late 1980s/early 1990s there was a boy (average to above average size) in Pennsylvania who played on a high school girls team. He did indeed wear a skirt/kilt, so this issue is not exactly new.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

A couple of them, IIRC, and I think they were all conference and some teams refused to play against them.

Sure, they made a point, but fuck them and their douchbag families for fucking up the sport for the girls.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

The whole thing hit critical mass when Wyoming Seminary near Wilkes-Barre was sending out 210-pounders who didn't think twice about leveling opponents. I think. I know there was some team up that way going in that direction, and Seminary is the power up there. In New York, they made the right arguments. Another eighth-grader, a girl, made all-conference just like the boy, and Southampton's team finished fourth in the conference, so he couldn't have been ... well, a man playing with boys. ;)
    Not a d_b. The earlier thread came before the boys' expulsion from the team was overruled.

8. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

This USA Today link from 2010 says it is a slippery slope.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/preps/2010-09-23-boys-field-hockey_N.htm

This from the story by the national coach of the year

"I'm not sure there are any benefits to having boys on a girls field hockey team," Klassner said. "It's going to become more common. Right now, the negatives in people's minds would be the danger element, but danger can also come from a bad field, poor coaching or a bad official. If you don't allow boys to play, it can be surmised as reverse discrimination. It depends on what side of the street you're on with this battle. I'm trying to take a middle-of-the-road approach."

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Bigger, faster, stronger must not mean too much to this guy.

Draft saved Draft deleted