1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

13 more refs maybe involved in NBA gambling scandal

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Chee, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I have always seethed at the way the NBA tilts the games at the end.

2. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I haven't watched it yet, but this dude was on Real Sports yesterday. I think it is the first segment. Maybe they stole it from that.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I covered the Game 6 between the Lakers and Kings in 2002. It was the most surreal experience of my journalism career.

I had my theories about other things being fixed in the NBA, like the draft lottery, but watching a game unfold like that Game 6 was beyond unreal.

I haven't looked at the game the same way since.

4. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

It's always odd how many times the people who complain the most about the NBA's product are the same people who proudly claim they rarely if ever watch it anymore.

5. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

As someone who wouldn't go to an NBA game unless the ticket was free, I figure this is codswollop. I mean, seriously?

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Canseco Effect on display. Gotta love it.

7. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Bullshit back at ya. Everyone and their mama know the league is fucked up (to your point), but if this story has legs and if it's true, those refs are in hot shit and Stern will be proven once and for all that he's one slick incompetent motherfucker, who despite adding measure post-Donaghy, still couldn't fix this.

The last thing the NBA needs is for Donaghy to be vindicated by a bookie's claim a la Jose Canseco.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Who on earth here DOESN'T believe Donaghy?

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The NBA?

Dirty?

NAWWWWWWW!

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The report said that Battista met with Donaghy the night before the game, which would be the 12th. The game was on the 13th.

And what I'd be interested in seeing is the breakdown of the free throws by half. We don't know if there was a discrepancy.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Also... it could be a case where there ISN'T a discrepancy, but there should have been.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Tim Thomas just went up for a two-handed slam, didn't say a word, and got slapped with a T.

Nowadays, you have to wonder.

Draft saved Draft deleted