1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

13 more refs maybe involved in NBA gambling scandal

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Chee, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

2. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

I love how people believe admitted criminals as opposed to looking at FBI and other investigations.

Don't you people think the investigators wanted to prove everything they could. If Donaghy or any of the other criminals could have produced anything more than allegations based on "because I said so," the feds would have gone deep and wide after the NBA.

Proving an American sports league as corrupt would be the feather in the cap of any number of FBI agents and US Attorneys.

I am not an NBA fan and don't give a crap about the league, but please, look at what you are taking at face value because you assume the NBA is crooked.

Really bad logic. Really bad practice.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It is the Jose Canseco effect. A bunch of accusations made by one lying, self-serving, corrupt dirtbag turn out to be true, so suddenly people are willing to believe anything from anybody.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

While I would rather undergo a root canal than sit through an entire NBA game the statement that "the NBA is crooked" is inaccurate in this instance.

The bookie isn't insinuating that there is institutional game-fixing ordered by the league office. He's talking about crooked refs who appear to have been getting away with it without the league knowing.

Stern & Co. would be guilty of incompetence, not racketeering.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

What happened 25 years ago that is anywhere CLOSE to this?

6. Armchair_QB

That was right about the time the hoops point-shaving scandal hit at BC, wasn't it?

7. Simon_Cowbell

Bullshit... Anyone with two eyes can see every night that the crap is rigged.

Including Stern

8. Simon_Cowbell

Like I said... not even close.

9. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

My question is how the hell did Channel 7 in Boston break the story (if in fact it's true)? The amount of actual reporting at Boston stations when it comes to sports is minimal to say the least.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Bill Simmons probably fed it to them knowing ESPN wasn't gonna touch it.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, nothing in sports during my lifetime comes anywhere close to this.

Maybe in the history of sports the Black Sox is bigger. I think you could argue this is the biggest scandal in the history of sports.

It would be nice to see it treated that way.

12. Armchair_QB

I would agree but that was the first thing that popped into my head.

There was the baseball coke trial in the mid-80s too but, again, not really the same thing.

Ronnie Harmon allegedly throwing the Rose Bowl was a mid-80s deal too.

Draft saved Draft deleted