1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

13 days, 22 murders

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Disingenuous thread right there. Defund the police, which is a crappy slogan, does not mean abolish the police. It means take some things off their plate. It means take some of the money away from them and put it toward community oriented responses to some of the situations, like homelessness and mental illness. We need police but we need them in a vastly different role, wielding vastly less power than they currently do.

Patchen and Spartan Squad like this.
  2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Oh this whole thread is started because police are crying that their hard jobs are hard. Police are losing support because they keep mucking up community relations and de-escalation techniques and then start crying when people get pissed off at them.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Criminologists dispute the president’s suggestion that the increase is tied to any pullback by the police in response to criticism or defunding efforts, and fluctuations in the crime rate are notoriously hard to explain. In many cities, the murder rate was on the rise before the pandemic, and a steep decline in arrests coincided with the start of social distancing, as measured by mobile phone records, according to a database compiled by David Abrams, an economist at the University of Pennsylvania law school.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Yeah, I read the story.

Liut likes this.
  6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

yes, why would any protester on foot feel threatened by someone driving a car

2017_Charlottesville,_Virginia_car_attack_photograph.jpg

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

You're defending that beating, as what? Vigilante justice?

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Nope. I'm asking for more information about what happened before I rush to judgment.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

What information is going to make the officials of Portland look good? The federal troops came, Portland and Oregon's leadership shrieked around it, and this shit didn't stop. The federal troops left, and this shit didn't stop.

Your response was...Charlottesville?

FWIW, I don't think the authorities did a good job that day, either, in Charlottesville. But it hadn't been 60 days of it in Charlottesville, either.

Portland has no excuse at this point. At this point, Portland - located in a state that will never vote for a Republican candidate for president ever again - is fodder for right-wing media. The protest has lost its point when there's guys in security vests beating the shit out of a drunk man.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Yeah.

I'm not sure what Portland's leaders might have done to prevent this. Any more than those in Charlottesville or St. Paul or Los Angeles, or any other place where this has happened.

That the guy was drunk makes it worse, not better.

I'm sure the story will eventually spool out in greater detail, and we'll know more.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted