1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

13 days, 22 murders

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Jul 15, 2020.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I called what I am seeing in the NY Post the last few weeks a narrative (which is a story created around events). That narrative is that we are seeing a crazy number of murders because cops are being hamstrung.

No, I don't believe that.

I believe that bullets are flying because the pandemic has people stir crazy, it also has put half of the population in the most socioeconomically disadvantaged neighborhoods out of work, and on top of it racial tensions are high.

I also believe that being a cop is a very difficult job in that kind of environment.

That isn't a "dog whistle" or your attributions about what I believe.

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Not everyone is against the cops.

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Also, the murder rate in St. Louis has been the highest in the nation for years.

Be nice if stories like this dug a little deeper than the Police Chief's defense of the police.

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It was written for a St. Louis audience that I’m sure is familiar with the issues of the city. It's also not uncommon, when you get the police chief 1-on-1, to play that up as a single-sourced story when it's local news.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Not allowing cops to use choke holds and asking them to not kill unarmed people makes cops toothless?

OscarMadison and Mngwa like this.
  6. The Big Ragu

7. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I’ve wondered how much of current police forces are made up of veterans or former security contractors who have been in theater.

Is it a lot higher than the 1980s or 1990s?

Does it correlate with anything at all? Less police violence? More?

God bless our veterans.

I’m just wondering though. Haven’t read any articles or studies on that possible angle.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Vombatus and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  9. The Big Ragu

Gee, Officer Krupke.

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Honest question - have the police squandered every bit of public support they gained since 9/11? The problem with police "in general" is that while most are terrific - they still support union leadership who end up dragging down the profession and allow it to be defined by the worst amongst them instead of the best.
    Coming out of COVID there will be a definite "reset" in terms of community support for police. How well it goes for police is up to them.

Draft saved Draft deleted