1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

126 Athletes Put On Waivers, Classy Move Ohio U!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flying Headbutt, Mar 10, 2007.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Good to hear from you zizzer. Are you stuck under several feet of snow?

Not to pile on, but it's been my experience that SIDs are there to serve one master, and it's not the local media. However, it's been my understanding that most of them do a pretty good job.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I got his point, but there are still some pretty piss-poor people in his position. I never said he was one of them. But of course, since I was a little sloppy with my message-board posting, he is quite willing to assume that I lack professionalism and pride in my work.

3. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

Zizzer gets a cookie for a great answer.

I may only serve one master, but my job is to work with the media to put my school in the best possible light. I do this in a number of ways, the biggest is to work with you to make sure that you have all of the information you need and that you have the access to the players, coaches and administrators.

I may be the most realistic SID in the profession because I understand when my school gets ripped in the paper and why no TV can send a camera over to a Friday night volleyball match. I understand the pressures that the media is under (staffing cuts, less space, less time) and more times than not, I have bended over backwards to help a media member out because of a lack of planning on his/her part.

I really appreciate the good media members. . . not the good people. . . the good workers. I enjoy working with good people, but I've worked with writers who I didn't necessarily like, but because they worked hard and respected my few rules, it made it very easy to work with them. I've gone to bat for media members with coaches when the coach gets pissed about what is in the paper and I've called out media members when I don't think the coverage is fair. My cell phone number is on every email I send and I always answer my phone (unless I'm in a meeting). If a message is left, I always return the call (on a seperate note -- I really hate media members who insist on trying to set things up via email, especially radio guys. TAKE A MINUTE AND CALL ME).

To sum up this message. . . you'd enjoy it if I were your SID.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm sure I would. I simply had a problem with making broad statements about sports journalists, not to mention one that seemed directed at me personally, based on anonymous message board posts.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Great answer to both...

Lessig, however, was still a clown...

Draft saved Draft deleted