1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

126 Athletes Put On Waivers, Classy Move Ohio U!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flying Headbutt, Mar 10, 2007.

1. How many of these athletes do you think are on scholarship? And how much do you think these scholarships are worth?
    OU cut some sports, but its not like the entire swim team was there on a full ride. Same with lacrosse and track and field.
    I feel sorry for the athletes who attended OU based on the opportunity to play (insert lacrosse, swimming, track here), but I don't think bashing OU - even though its what all the cool kids are doing - is the correct way to go.

OU is the norm and not exception here and Title IX (enforcement) is a big cause for blame.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Title IX is NOT to blame. School's have had 30+ years to come into compliance with it. Stop fucking blaming a law that has evened the playing field for women in all walks of life.

Blaming Title IX is the easy way out, and is used by cowards and misogynists as an excuse.

My issue is that they spent almost the amount these programs cost going to gawdforsaken bowl game in Alabama. Maybe they should have just said no.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Can we just frame these last two emails and toss 'em back up there every time the Title IX argument comes up, thus getting the extreme ends of the argument out of the way?

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Since you didn't bother to read the story, if they were on scholarship, most can keep them. If not, they were footing the bill anyway.

And I'm tired of people bitching about student loans. If you want to go to college, get a fucking job and pay for it. If you want to go to college, but didn't get a scholarship and can't afford it, take out loans -- but don't bitch about it, because you have every oportunity to do exactly what my wife and I have done. We don't have one iota of college debt because we worked for it. I worked for fucking peanuts to give her the best accounting degree around. Then, what'd she do? She worked her ass off to put me through.

Fuck you and the horse you rode in on, buddy.

Oh, and another thing. I dont' give a good goddam about Title IX or who's to blame here. There's two things we can do here: Sit around and cry about it and wonder why we're the victim; or we can get off our asses and do something about.

The hardest hitter doesn't always win. Sometimes it's the guy who keeps getting up.

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Aren't all schools cutting sports?

Heck to pay for Schiano's contract Rutgers is in the process of cutting men's tennis, men's and women's fencing, men's lightweight and heavyweight crew (two separate programs), and men's swimming. But at least Rutgers has the heart to wait until the summer to make the cuts official. Not doing the gutless, bullshit thing Ohio U is doing and cutting the sport between preseason practices and the season opener.

6. outofplace

Oops...missed that part about keeping their scholarships. hehe.

And part of not being a victim is speaking up when you get screwed. But I guess you're too busy putting on your hard-ass routine to acknowledge that. Yeah, yeah. You worked hard to get by. So did I. Big fucking deal.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Guess so.

I don't usually rant like that, but that fired me up a little.

I'm not discounting the sacrifices others make, it just makes me angry to hear people crying when life gives'em a little love tap.

8. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

This one cut pretty deep, if only because I ran for one seasons for Ohio and have a lot of friends who were affected by this decision.

That said, I have considered during recent weeks, severing ties with my alma mater. Everything. Money, shirts, hats, etc. I would keep the degree, but I cannot continue to support a university that bungles situations this badly.

Any thoughts on a new team? The frontrunners, for various reasons, are Syracuse, Oregon and Appalachian State, but I'm open to suggestions. Give me a reason why your favorite school should become my favorite school.

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Montana. Greatest mascot ever in Monty the Bear. Contend for the I-AA football title on a yearly basis. Women's basketball team considered among the top programs in the country (7th, not sure why, but ya know). And it's in Montana for crissakes.

Course as long as you don't go with Ohio State or Miami, I'll still love you.

10. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

You must have missed the part about this only happening in Lacrosse because a bunch of the current players didn't want to play -- so that they wouldn't lose a season of eligibility -- leaving the school without enough players to field a team this year. They were going to play the schedule until this happened.

On a seperate note -- I worry about the future of journalism when so many journalists on here don't take in all of the facts before making a massive rush to judgement.

11. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Thanks, SID, for your input on this subject.

I believe too many schools are hanging on to the Divison I dream when they should either move to Division I-AA or drop football entirely. It's an ego thing. Mid-major schools without football fare much better in terms of balancing the budget, providing equal opportunities and keeping priorities in check.

Going along with this, I echo SC's sentiment: the cost of wining-and-dining a football program, administrators and boosters at a bowl game (plus the days before and after) far exceeds whatever paycheck the school gets for participating and the small bump in booster revenue. I know it would be unheard of, but perhaps schools that can't afford it should not participate.

12. outofplace

SID, this is a message board. I know I try to put some thought into what I post here, but I am not nearly as careful as I am with something that will actually run in the paper.

Then again, the main thing that worries me about the future of your profession is what I see in the present from many of your peers in their jobs, not just on a message board.

Draft saved Draft deleted