1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

126 Athletes Put On Waivers, Classy Move Ohio U!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flying Headbutt, Mar 10, 2007.

1. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Agreed. They were trying to live in a $5,000,000 house with a $75,000/year income.

Every now and then I see my old school and wish it had Sport X or Sport Z, then I see its budget, see its woeful fundraising abilities and see schools like Ohio slashing and burning sports to stay afloat. Then I think it's probably a good thing my old school doesn't try too hard to be something it isn't.

2. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

The sad thing is they'll probably spin this as a positive a few years down the road when they're either able to put the budget back into order or find a winning product in another sport... it happened when I was at Carleton.

They had a lousy football program with about one win in four years. Instead of spending money on it and hiring a new coach, they simply cut the program. A couple years later, thanks to a good coach more than anything, their basketball team won and they still can't stop patting themselves on the back for killing football - which also could have been saved and both could have triumphed with proper management.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Thank you.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Hell, he's not even in the top three in MAC history

[​IMG] [​IMG]

That's Dave Diles, ex-EMU; Allen Bohl, ex-Toledo and I can't find a photo of the biggest asswipe of all -- former MAC commissioner Jim Lessig.

5. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

DOCTOR David Diles. And I haven't met Lessig, but he'd have to go a ways to knock DDD out of your top spot...

6. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Don't just blame Hocutt, though he handled it poorly. Tom Boeh fucked the budget before he left, signing unproven coaches to major deals and screwing up the renovation of the football stadium, which cost more than a half-million to fix, I believe. Boeh got a job at Fresno State as punishment.

One of my best friends was a men's swimmer and I knew plenty of these athletes in my days there. Good programs all, and the women's lax team had flashes of promise. At least they kept wrestling, which was threatened with extinction years ago.

7. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Beat me to it!

I hate how Title IX takes a beating by the ignorant when these situations happen. Title IX is about playing, it's not about not playing. Those who support Title IX do not support programs being cut for anyone.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

They both look like towel boys at at a 70's era San Fran bath house. Kirby pitched and Dave caught for the bath house softball team

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I would totally call up and say I'm not donating anything this year because of this bullshit fiasco, but I didn't donate last year either. I'd have no effect.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It's not that Title IX has nothing to do with these things happening. It is a factor. Piss-poor money management is a larger factor, but to say Title IX has nothing to do with it is not accurate.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

But to say that these things "can't be avoided" and to put the blame on Title IX, which many administrators try to do ("but-but-but, our hands are tied!") is even more inaccurate. And more pathetic.

Ditka Mismanagement 98, Title IX 2. Scoreboard!

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Lessig tried to throw schools out of the MAC in the early 80s and helped manipulate a ticket scam between schools for football that let schools buy from others in order to meet minimum 1A attendance standards. No money changed hands, it was all on paper...
    Only good thing he did was try to throw EMU out of the MAC... [ducking from hank scorpio]

Draft saved Draft deleted