1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

In an effort to lift myself out of this shit-ass funk, I figured I'd burn a vacation day and head to NYC for that huge Sandy benefit concert next week. Hell, might not even need to burn a day. Might have all the time in the world.

Supposed to be on sale at noon today, gone before they got started it seems. Check out some of these prices

http://www.stubhub.com/natural-disaster-relief-concert-tickets/12-12-12-fundraising-concert-new-york-madison-square-garden-12-12-2012-4181571/

Oh well.

2. Moderator1

http://www.121212concert.org/

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I tried for tickets and was shut out, even using the pre-sale. Not paying those prices, especially given the fact that it will be on TV live.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

At first I figured this thread was just about the calendar quirk of the date.

But, having just watched a commercial for the concert, I figured out what it was about.

So...

Is this thing really only going to air on the Cooking Channel? The fucking Cooking Channel? I don't get the Cooking Channel.

If this is a fundraiser, why aren't they giving it away to any cable network that wants to air it?

Either way, they should have come up with a better cable partner than the Cooking Channel.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

You may have just seen a partial listing, YF. I think it's on every channel. And in movie theaters. And streaming.

Here's the list from the site:

AMC
    AXS TV
    BIO
    Bloomberg
    CBS
    Cooking Channel
    Destination America
    Discovery Fit & Health
    Encore
    EPIX
    FX Movie Channel
    Fuse

G4
    Hallmark Movie Channel
    HBO
    HBO Latino
    IFC
    ION Television
    Lifetime Real Women
    Live Well Network
    Military History
    MSG
    MSG Plus
    mundoFox

NJTV
    Ovation
    Palladia
    SHOWTIME
    Smithsonian Channel
    Sundance Channel
    Thirteen
    VH1 Classic
    WEtv
    WLIW.

INTERNATIONAL TELEVISION CHANNELS

A+E International
    AXN
    Belgacom
    CyfrowyPolsat
    Direct TV Brazil
    Direct TV Latin America
    Direct TV Pan Americana
    Fox International Channels’ worldwide networks
    GlobosatMultishow

HBO (Latin America)
    ITI Neovision
    MGM Latino
    Movie Networks Australia
    37 MTV Channels
    Numericable
    RTL
    SGT JAMBOX
    Sony Entertainment Television

SPIN
    Sundance Channel Asia
    Sundance Channel Europe
    Telehit-Televisa
    Telenet
    VH1 Brasil
    WE tv Asia
    YES Drama

6. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Also:

STREAMING WEBSITES

AOL
    Clear Channel Media and Entertainment
    Clear Channel Outdoor
    Crackle
    Fuse
    Hulu
    iHeartRadio
    MTV Networks
    Vevo
    Yahoo
    YouTube
    People.com
    Time.com
    InStyle.com
    EW.com

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

OK, thanks.

I had HGTV on (don't judge me) and they ran an ad for the concert on the Cooking Channel, and from the ad, it looked like it was only airing there.

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

FYI, there is not a decent hotel room in NY on this date for under $500. Must be a lot of entourages making the trip.

9. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

There usually isn't in December, anyway. Too many of us from the hinterlands want to visit so our daughters can see The Nutcracker at Lincoln Center.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

And lo, a shepherd said unto them, get thee below 14th street, or surpassing far uptown. Also, Brooklyn is nice.

11. Moderator1

I found one on 40th for 219 but didn't want to book it without tickets. Didn't get tickets. Room rate that low is long gone.

I am going to try and get up there the following week for another show. Seeing rooms as low as 139 in midtown at decent places.

I will watch this concert from the seat I am in now.

12. shockey

shockey Active Member

12-12-12, THE SANDY CONCERT

we all know by now the channels airing it and who's on the bill. so, who opens the show and who closes it? take your best shot.

mine: springsteen and estreet band open. for several reasons, starting with they reprsent the folks most affected by the hurricane along the jersey shore. maybe billy joel bats second on behalf of long island's victims. i've grappled with this since the concert was announced, 'cause the boss on the bill in ny/nj translates into an impatient, rude crowd demanding 'BROOOCE!' from the get-go. it was a huge problem back in the day for 'no nukes,' which is why he hasn't done all-star gang bangs since in the states. so i'm figuring it opens with bruce to try to satisfy folks. maybe let him start with a 30-minute set of his greatest crowd pleasers. and let him appease the crowd by promising to be back later if everyone behaves themselves the rest of the night.

and mccartney will close the show because he's effin' sir paul mccartney and that's how beatles roll. as sepinwall likes to say, 'what does everybody else think?'

Draft saved Draft deleted