1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

12-year-old found guilty of multiple murder

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flash, Jul 10, 2007.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

However abhorrent this crime was (and it was) you don't execute 12 year olds.

Canada decided about 40 years ago that state sanctioned murder was barbaric --as do pretty much all the Western democracies.

2. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

My reference was to the Paul Bernardo/Karla Homolka case. They were both adults. And because she flipped on Bernardo, Homolka is now a free woman, even though she helped murder her own sister (among others).

Carry on...

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The Crown sold their soul when the cut that deal with Homolka. Bernardo will never see the light of day.

4. Flash

Flash Guest

Just sayin ...

5. Flash

Flash Guest

I still find it hard to feel sorry for her ...

http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/news/story.html?id=c8c80a69-9d44-4666-82b3-fc136d8f58bc

When she completes her sentence no more than a decade from now, Canada's youngest multiple killer will be hardly yet an adult, with years of living ahead to distance herself from her gruesome past.

But it's her youth, coupled with the infamy of her crimes, that could plague any attempt at normalcy, experts say, so that while her peers graduate, marry and pursue careers, the girl's notoriety will dog her own growth into adulthood.

"One of the difficulties she faces over the next few years is coming to grips with what has happened," said Calgary forensic psychologist Dr. Patrick Baillie.

6. Flash

Flash Guest

More stories ... the Herald did a double truck today.

http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/news/story.html?id=c3b33051-0468-4c7b-87d5-ddbc9939d372

http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/news/story.html?id=e3c73293-f76a-4e39-b737-181697236853

7. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

If I remember correctly, her motive is that her parents loved her too much. They never assaulted her in any way (as far as I've heard). Just gave her unconditional love, and she felt smothered, trapped. So she kills them, and her eight year old brother, then celebrates by having sex with her 24 year-old boy friend and accomplice.

I'm an advocate of the death penalty, just not on 12 year olds, although she is now 13, but I digress. Something more than the slap on the wrist sentence she received was very much needed. her boyfriend has got to be thanking his lucky stars that there isn't capital punishment in Canada.

Draft saved Draft deleted