1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

12-year-old found guilty of multiple murder

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flash, Jul 10, 2007.

1. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Not fond of the death penalty, but there are times -- Bernardo/Homolka, for one -- when it sounds like a REALLY good idea.

2. Flash

Flash Guest

The girl and her co-killer ran off from the murder scene to have sex and get drunk. This sure sounds like a solid case, too.

Although some human rights treehugger would likely get upset at her age.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

cases like this prove the nonexistence of a sentient god

4. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

Not at all. They prove that humans are hopelessly evil.

5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Let me get this straight, you're advocating executing a 12-year-old?
    I'm resigned to the fact that most people feel we need a death penalty and it's not going away any time soon, but putting someone that young to death is just plain wrong.
    If I wanted to live in country that did that sort of thing, I'd live in Nigeria or Iran or someplace like that.
    If 12 is not to young, what is too young?

6. Flash

Flash Guest

Shit, I thought I was cynical.

7. Flash

Flash Guest

Whatever her 'feel sorry for me' testimony, this 12-year-old girl methodically planned her family's murder and then laughed about it.

In a recent Herald story, someone in the court room -- sorry, I think it was a member of the prosecution but could have been someone else -- said after a series of consultations with the girl, he is sure she is beyond help.

What's there to do?

8. Smallpotatoes

So are you saying there should be no cut-off age, just go on a case-by-case basis?
    What if a 6-year-old commits a particularly brutal murder? It's not likely to happen, but what if it does? Should we execute a 6-year-old?
    A few years ago, the US Supreme Court said nobody under 18. As long as we have to have a death penalty, that's good enough for me.

9. Flash

Flash Guest

I don't know. And I guess that makes it a good thing that I don't have to make that decision. But to have followed this trial from beginning to end, I can tell you I am in fear of that day that child is back on the streets.

Killing a child? Yes, there is a special place in hell for such a person.

But six years for plotting and executing the murders of her entire family?

There has to be a happy medium. Right?

10. Smallpotatoes

Yes, there certainly does.

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Was this actually her family? The story never says one way or the other, though I'm wondering if that's to avoid ID'ing her.

12. Flash

Flash Guest

Aye, that's what happens when you've been covering the same thing for weeks on end, right? You miss those tiny details.

Yes, it was her dad, her mom and her eight-year-old brother.

Draft saved Draft deleted