1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

12-year-old drops an F-bomb on live TV. Nice.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dessens71, Aug 20, 2006.

1. Dessens71

Dessens71 Member

Did anyone else see that tonight during the LLWS on ESPN2?
    The Staten Island manager, who is miked, gathered the boys in the dugout before the bottom of the sixth to remind them that all they needed was one run to tie the game.
    "Yeah, one f---ing run," one of the adorable little tykes replied.
    Manager swatted the kid on his shoulder, but there it was, on live TV.
    Wholesome family entertainment.

Sorry if this is already posted. I searched and didn't find anything.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Is it me, or is there something unsettling about the way ESPN has pimped out the LLWS, even the qualifying rounds? And, of course, the way LL International has whored itself out?

It was cool back in the day when WWoS aired the American championship game and then the world championship. Now it's overkill.

Strange as it might sound, I'd feel a little better about it if it were on Nickelodeon or one of the kids' networks.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yeah, then we could listen to Harold Reynolds

4. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

He was just trying to fire up the troops.

5. WS

WS Member

I heard it at work. I wish I had TiVoed it. Maybe it will be the game that comes on at 2 a.m.

6. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Ever served in a forward area?

7. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

I actually think I heard one in a previous game, too

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

If I had been miked at 12, it would have received a NC-17 rating.

I almost got a yellow card in a soccer match for swearing too much at age 11, and during a timeout when I played basketball in 8th grade, the coaches were laughing at me because everytime I ran past the bench they'd hear an instant wave of profanity.

I'm a changed man now. As you all know, I rarely use profanity these days.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Did the coach tell them to pound some Budweiser after the game?

10. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Wasn't there also a time when only eight teams made the LLWS, four from the US and four from the rest of the world?
    It's always struck me as funny how the more watered down these things get, the bigger deal they become. That's true even in pro sports, where more teams make the playoffs than 30-40 years ago, but the early rounds of the playoffs are hyped as much as the championship series or Super Bowl once was. It's strange how making the playoffs means less than it once did, but the playoffs are still a bigger deal.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I want to say it was five or six years ago when they doubled the tournament's size, right about the time they opened the second stadium in Williamsport.

12. patchs

patchs Active Member

Was this the kid?
    [​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted