1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

12-year-old dies from injuries sustained during "Kids Club" auto race

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, May 20, 2012.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2012-05-20/news/os-winter-haven-kids-race-crash-20120520_1_critical-condition-polk-deputies-race-car-crash

What an unbelievable nightmare.

Story says the modified cars would be going 40-45 mph maximum.

2. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

Re: 12-year-old critically injured during "Kids Club" auto race

Sad stuff. Sounds like what happened with Earnhardt Sr. (going up and into the wall at a high rate of speed). I know this kid wasn't going near as fast as the 3 car was, but it's like what was said after that crash, it's not the speed that gets you. It's the sudden stopping of going into the wall that causes the injuries.

3. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

First and foremost, I wish the little guy a quick and complete recovery, and prayers to his loved ones.

Beyond that, the story refers to them as "stock cars," but nowhere, to my knowledge, can a 12-year-old drive a "stock car." The Chase Elliott rule last year dropped NASCAR's rule to 15.

My guess would be they were what we in Northern California call "Mini Cups," which are exactly that, only they run on 1,100-cc engines. And, 40-45 mph sounds about right. I've seen them roll but remember few slams into the wall. They usually don't go fast enough for anything that violent to happen. I'm curious to see folos now.

Thanks for posting, LongTime.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

40 mph is plenty violent.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/accidents/12-year-old-race-car-driver-dies-from-injuries-sustained-in-crash/1231630

The worst update. Four days later, he dies.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'd rather put my kid in a washing machine than let them race cars or drive ATVs at age 12.

Draft saved Draft deleted