1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

12-team College Football Playoff

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Splendid Splinter, Sep 2, 2022.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

That possible Rose Bowl matchup is one of those quirks that hopefully can be thought out in advance. Michigan Men might get a stiffy getting the Buckeyes or Spartans a second time, but do people in the other 48 states really give a damn about a B1G rematch with the sun setting over the mountains?

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I suspect after one full contract cycle with this format, the quarterfinal bowls get shelved.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

How many of those make the tournament field?

4. Neutral Corner

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Please know your Rose Bowl sunset geography: The sun sets into the ocean with the San Gabriels (not mountains) in the foreground.

And the teams with byes will get slotted right away. So if a B1G or Pac-12 has a bye and higher seed, they get slotted into Granddaddy. SEC or Big 12 into Sugar.

2muchcoffeeman and maumann like this.
  6. Noholesin1

Noholesin1 Active Member

If the goal is to find the best team, why would you design a system that includes any? That makes no sense.
    Of course, we know this isn’t the goal. The goal is to make more money.

Typist Clerk likes this.
  7. Neutral Corner

In reading the comments on various message boards and the CFB Reddit, the people who are complaining about the format are almost invariably fans of teams who already had access to the playoff.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Yet somehow everyone is fine with 16-team playoffs in pro sports, which have about 1/3 the pool to choose from as college football. Can only teams that have a legit argument for being the best participate in the NHL, NBA, MLB and NFL postseason?

9. Neutral Corner

Or March Madness, which dips much deeper down the food chain in qualifying conference champions?

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  10. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

The NFL is going to throw so many glitches into this matrix.

My proposed schedule using this year as a template with attempts to work around the NFL. I'm sure no one will like it (except the NFL).

(Problems I think will arise in italics.)

Sunday, Dec. 4: Announce the qualifiers and the byes.

Saturday, Dec. 10: Army-Navy.
    The new tradition of Army-Navy being the last game of the regular season will be respected. CBS is happy. The playoffs begin next weekend.

FIRST ROUND
    NFL Week 15, with three games on Saturday
    Friday, Dec. 16
    Game 1 at 6 p.m. ET
    Game 2 at 9:30 ET (Game played in a Central time zone city or further west)
    The winners on this half of the bracket play Dec. 31.

Games on Saturday, Dec. 17
    Game 3 at Noon ET
    Game 4 at 3:30 ET
    There's going to be a conflict with at least one NFL game here. It's unavoidable.
    The winners on this half of the bracket play Jan. 2.

Saturday, Dec. 24
    NFL Week 16
    No games. Nope, not on Xmas eve.

QUARTERFINALS
    NFL Week 17; no games scheduled on Saturday.
    Saturday, Dec. 31
    Peach Bowl: Game 1 winner vs. (bye), 5 p.m. ET.
    Sugar Bowl: Game 2 winner vs. (bye), 8:30 ET
    Is the Sugar Bowl going to like playing on NYE? No. But if the bracket could work out so that it gets the SEC champion, maybe it can be appeased.

Monday, Jan. 2
    Fiesta Bowl: Game 3 winner vs. (bye), 1:30 ET
    Rose Bowl: Game 4 winner vs. (bye), 5 p.m. ET
    The Rose Bowl gets to keep its precious New Year's Day time slot. The Fiesta Bowl kicks off at 11:30 a.m. local (could be better, but it's acceptable). There's also a delicate balance in trying to get the Rose Bowl done before MNF, but it's scheduled for an ABC simulcast, so that may not be such a big problem. MNF can start on ABC with ESPN joining in progress if the Rose goes long.
    MNF: Buffalo @ Cincinnati at 8:30.

SEMIFINALS
    NFL Week 18 with two games on Saturday but no Monday Night Football.
    Saturday, Jan. 7
    Cotton Bowl: Peach Bowl winner vs. Sugar Bowl winner, Noon ET
    The noon kickoff should give it maximum time to get done before the first NFL game takes place. If I'm not mistaken, both NFL game are set to be ESPN/ABC simulcasts.

Monday, Jan. 9
    Orange Bowl: Fiesta Bowl winner vs. Rose Bowl winner, 8 or 8:30 ET.
    No Monday Night Football in Week 18 and playing on Monday night keeps the Monday quarterfinal winner from playing on short rest. That's a looooooong time between the semifinal games but I don't see how to avoid it.
    Except maybe to go with 6 p.m. and 9:30 semifinals both on Monday night?
    Which bowl would be OK with the 9:30 kickoff? Presumably the Orange Bowl. I think it would demand to be the later game.

Monday, Jan. 16
    Super Wild Card Weekend with a Monday night game, and we were going to have an off week anyway. This works out.

Monday, Jan. 23
    National championship, 8 p.m. EST
    Alabama vs. Georgia, because SEC, gosh dammit.

Well? How awful is this? Because although I'm making up this schedule based on this year's schedules, it's likely the CFP and NFL weekends match up in the same way every year so scheduling issues like these are going to pop up every season.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2022
    TigerVols likes this.
  11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

It’ll take a decade but the talent will distribute a bit more evenly and you’ll have some parity. Because, with the three year rule now in place, why the fuck is Mr. Five Star going to Alabama to sit behind some dickhead for two years before seeing the field when he can go to a Coastal Carolina, Boise State or Memphis and accomplish the same objectives?

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm glad we're not hearing about the sanctity of the bowls anymore.

Draft saved Draft deleted