1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

12-team College Football Playoff

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Splendid Splinter, Sep 2, 2022.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I bet we get this by the 2024 season.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Next year's MLK Day is on Monday the 16th. There is some really tricky timing. Playing the NCG on the Monday after WC weekend tends to bury the buildup to the game. Almost wonder if you move it out to a Thursday night?
    It is amazing how quickly this came together. Were the school presidents who suddenly found themselves on the outside of realignment suddenly more flexible in their thinking?

3. MileHigh

I think your Thursday night for the NCG makes sense because there's an NFL wild card game on that Monday night. So a schedule this season could look like:

Sunday, Dec. 4: Announce 12 teams
    Saturday, Dec. 17: First round at four campus sites
    Saturday, Dec. 30: One quarterfinal
    Monday, Jan. 2: Three quarterfinals

Here is where it gets tricky in regard to the NFL. Do you do a quick turnaround and have the semis the following weekend (Week 18 of NFL season that has two Saturday games)? Probably not. If you wait and do the semifinals on Saturday, Jan. 14, that's NFL wild card weekend (two on Saturday, three on Sunday, one on Monday).

So perhaps one semi on Friday night, Jan. 13, then do the second one on Saturday, Jan. 14 at noon EST (NFL wild card games are at 4:30 p.m. and 8 p.m.).

Then national title game on Thursday, Jan. 26.

4. MileHigh

Also, top four conference champions get byes. For now, that means Notre Dame wouldn't get a bye.

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

ND will be fine with trading the chance to host a game for getting in nearly every year.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

They’ll be pretty close getting in every year anyway, whether as a bye or WC. They have more of a shot winning the ACC then winning the Big10 on average.

this is possibly a 16-18 game season for the 12 teams. The conference championship game becomes unreasonable.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

And I'm sure most of the major conferences would rather opt to scrub a conference game (even a home one) over a home game vs. an FCS school.

I Should Coco likes this.
  8. MileHigh

I think this helps with non-conference scheduling. You can afford a loss. Maybe two. But a big OOC win helps your standing.

Now, the SEC needs to get up to nine conference games like the others.

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

It's going to come. I don't see how it doesn't, not if you give the other conferences an excuse to downgrade your candidates.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Nine SEC games will come in conjunction with Texas/OU entering as a way to give ESPN an inventory boost and bring the contract payment closer in line to what the Big 10 has set as the benchmark.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  11. nickp

nickp Active Member

So in for December Madness

12. Noholesin1

Noholesin1 Active Member

Sorta. I’m not going in person, or watching on TV, to see a game with a team not in the top 300.

Draft saved Draft deleted