1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

12 dead, 58 injured in Colorado at midnight showing of Dark Knight

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Brooklyn Bridge, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Re: 20 Shot in Colorado at midnight showing of Dark Knight

Some people live third shift lives. Their kids do too. According to a couple of reports online, the parents took the baby to the hospital as a precaution.

CNN just said four firearms were used an AK-type assault rifle, shotgun and two pistols.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Are we allowed to suggest that it might not be the greatest idea in the world for 24-year-olds to have access to assault rifles?

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

But day or night, this is not the type of thing you want an infant hearing.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

For those I know in Colorado, you don't need to apologize for posting Facebook statuses that have nothing to do with the shooting. You are not a bad person for commenting on something else.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Hopefully not. It's not like the guy shot up an IRS office, you know? Right now, everyone is probably just trying to put meat on the bones of the perpetrator. That said, they ought to tread lightly after some of the speculation after the Jared Loughner shooting.

I try not to get irrational about isolated events, but are rampage shootings not becoming a very real menace in the United States - and the world, for that matter? Columbine, of course. Virginia Tech. Northern Illinois. Sweden. Red Lake. Nickel Mines. Chardon. Oakland. Fort Hood.

The list goes on and on and on. I don't know what can be done. I don't want to immediately turn this into a debate about gun control, although that should come later. A very real, civil, serious discussion about gun control. And mental illness. And a lot of the ingredients intertwined with this trend. Yes, trend.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Personally, I hate posting on Facebook on something like that when everyone else is doing it. Makes me feel like I am being antisocial or something, but I hate running with the sheep and adding nothing to the conversation.

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

You think that's freaky, check out her last blog entry: a firsthand account of last month's Toronto mall shooting.

http://deadspin.com/5927673/aspiring-sportscaster-killed-in-shooting-at-colorado-movie-theater

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I would like to know Alma's thoughts on this.

9. 93Devil

What's sad is I doubt any of us could list all the assault rifle mass shootings of the last 5-10 years. It's not a short list.

10. 93Devil

Jesus

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I had to look some of them up to double check.

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I know. That's some Final Destination-type shit.

Draft saved Draft deleted