1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

12 dead, 58 injured in Colorado at midnight showing of Dark Knight

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Brooklyn Bridge, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Re: 20 Shot in Denver at midnight showing of Dark Knight

FOX news saying 15 dead now. WTF is wrong with people, seriously.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I realize I'm the last one on this train, but CNN is not draping itself in glory. I have watched this coverage for an hour or so, and I learned more in 45 seconds of reading the lead story on the Denver Post than I did in an hour of CNN.

CNN: We're unsure how many screens were showing this movie.
    Post: "the mall, where three theaters were showing "The Dark Knight Rises.""

Also, if I hear CNN tell me one more time that they've been told the suspect has Tennessee license plates, but they haven't confirmed that yet, and they don't know what that means because he has an apartment in Aurora ... well, I'm just going to scream.

3. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

CNN has been waaay behind on a bunch of details, which can be ound just about everywhere. My personal fave has been these national anchors saying they understand that the movie was sold out. I mean cmon man.

4. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Fox news just said someone in an adjacent theater to No. 9 was struck by a bullet that penetrated the wall.

And yes, I switched over to Fox news because CNN was just bad about the coverage. Not that it matters at this point, but yes, CNN is definitely lacking in the coverage department.

5. imjustagirl

Several were shot in theater 8. Even CNN had that an hour ago. :D

6. imjustagirl

I am as in love with Joe Scarborough as one can be. But the fact they're NOT talking about this on MSNBC is ridiculous.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I wonder how many details CNN is sitting on because of the Giffords and Obamacare debacles.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Proving once again, if you can't make it red state vs. blue state, CNN can't handle it. Hell, I'm getting more here than there.

YouTube link. Language may make it NSFW, depending on where you W:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7sIiqq66rk

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Just waking up out here -- good gawd WTF is wrong with people. Fuck.

Obviously, the local channels are all over it. I'll provide as many updates as possible since the networks don't seem to be on it.

To be clear this happened in Aurora, not Denver. Aurora is the third-largest city in the state and where this took place is about 11 miles east of downtown Denver. Horrific nonetheless.

Right now. SWAT team is surrounding a building in Aurora and "there may be explosives in there," apparently regarding one of the suspects.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

They can't hit the fast ball like they used to. It just has a feeling like the fourth station in the market, showing the same footage over and over again ... even clips from the link I posted.

11. imjustagirl

MH, how familiar are you with Aurora or this theater? CNN keeps playing a clip of someone saying "This isn't the safest theater." True?

12. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Good Morning America is doing a good job. Already interviewed two witnesses who were in the theater and just had a report from a local reporter showing the bomb squad at the suspect's apartment complex. Two entire blocks near the complex were evacuated because of the threat of explosives. One of the witnesses said he played dead and he heard 75 gunshots.

Draft saved Draft deleted