1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

118th US Open Walking Thread, presented by Johnnie Walker

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Jun 7, 2018.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I liked the 18-hole playoff, too.

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

This is an outdated narrative. It's like saying "The Jaguars sucked in 2015, so they must suck now."

Fox was garbage at Chambers but really good at Oakmont during the rules fiasco and good at Erin Hills during a mostly blah US Open.

CBS' coverage is truly lazy and bad in almost every way. It's just familiar. Fox uses technology that CBS simply refuses to use. TopTracer on every tee, and from the fairways, and green mapping that is way better than CBS. Fox doesn't bring Jack up into the book to masturbate for 20 minutes, nor does it completely miss important shots the way CBS does (like Cantley making a hole-in-one last week, which they DID NOT EVEN HAVE VIDEO OF).

Azinger and Faxon are so much better than Faldo. Azinger works so much harder and is so much more insightful. They just showed an entire Women's US Open without commercials, which is an incredible feat. Meanwhile Dustin Johnson, the world's No. 1 player, shot a 29 on the front 9 at Riv this year, and CBS didn't have any coverage of it. At all. They didn't even have highlights of it, that's how hard they dropped the ball.

More recent: The way CBS fucked up the coverage of Spieth's run at the Masters was unforgivable. The fact that they went to commercial as he was about to hit his second shot into 13 was insane, and the fact that we never heard any of his pre-shot conversation with Greller (it was only available on the featured group streaming) was ridiculous. The way they fucked up the PGA Championship last year (not showing and of Kisner's shots down the stretch until JT won) was ridiculous. They literally cannot show live golf. Their motto ought to be "Just a moment ago...."

CBS without Tiger to be the primary driver of the narrative is totally lost. I was down on FOX as much as anyone, but they're so much better than tired ass CBS at this point. FOX strived to get better, while CBS is happy to be totally complacent.

3. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

I like it in theory...but of course it’s hard to actually watch 18 holes on Monday if you have a job with normal hours.

4. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Great analysis.

One thing I think hurts Fox (in golf, and other sports): the graphics--even when providing better information than elsewhere--always just sort of look somewhat unpolished and unprofessional.

5. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Agreed here. Love the technology advancements in golf, regardless of who is broadcasting the event.

As a golf fan, the shot tracer is on par with the yellow first-down line on football broadcasts.

6. OBTW, John Smoltz qualified for Senior US Open.

I think Fox well-outshines CBS, esp. in the commentary department. Not a huge Faxxon fan, but Azinger is tremendous.

I do love me some Dottie Pepper.

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I'm guessing the on-site fan experience will be much better this week, too. Quite a few issues at Chambers Bay, from getting around the course to literally running out of food/drinks mid-afternoon.

8. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Never been to Cypress Point, but if I had only one course I could play for the rest of my life, Shinnecock Hills would be in my top three choices. It's as pure as it gets. Take away all the U.S. Open infrastructure and when you stand next to the clubhouse and look out over the terrain, you can easily sense that 100 years ago, someone standing in the same place saw exactly the same thing. The 11th is a world-class par 3 (no one builds uphill par 3s anymore), and the closing holes on each side are phenomenal.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

There's two different missions at play, so it's not always apples-to-apples comparisons. Fox only does USGA events and paid a kajillion for them, so the broadcasts get their very best effort and all the bells and whistles. For CBS, golf is a job like yours and mine. Some weeks you're keyed in and excellent, others you're punching the clock. For the latter, watch Hilton Head the week after the Masters. Or the John Deere. Of course they're not getting anything from the front nine at the Riv, the broadcast window is small so CBS isn't covering the course with cameras. CBS has its routines and doesn't stray -- to some that makes for familiar and enjoyable viewing, to others its maddening.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I miss the 18-hole playoff too, just because it was so USGA -- torture for four days, let's do one more! But we're in an instant-gratification era where everyone wants a winner by nightfall.

The Players Championship has the best playoff -- three great holes that all golfers know with 16-17-18. Not sure if the U.S. Open's will be 17-18 every year or if they'll try to pick off the two best holes that are next to each other or what. But I agree, bet on a run of playoffs now.

11. Prop bets:

Tiger or ...
    US Open group (DJ, Spieth and McIlroy)
    Masters group (Reed, Garcia, Watson)
    The Open group (Stenson, Johnson, Mickelson)
    The PGA group (Thomas, Walker, Day)

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

He is likely to finish behind all of them, except maybe Mickelson and Watson.

Draft saved Draft deleted