1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

112th U.S. Open at The Olympic Club

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Jun 4, 2012.

1. cortez

cortez Member

Love the venue, just hate the late conclusion when I'm on deadline

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

In '98, Cortez, Casey Martin's first round, which of course every editor in the world wanted a story on, was in the next to last threesome to tee off, back before they switched to using both the 10th and first tees. I think he finished at like 8:20 Pacific time. I dictated a flash lede to a golf sidebar.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, it was pretty dark when he finished. USGA went kicking and screaming to going off both tees and finally did it in 2002.

Good interview of Casey Martin on Dan Patrick this morning. Says he's going to play a practice round with Tiger next week.

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Was wondering about this ... anyone have an idea when the final groups tee off on Sunday?

I realize the combination of west coast location and prime-time television hours for east coast viewers is golden for NBC, but yeah, it doesn't help eastern newspapers any.

5. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Roughly 4 and a half hours before the end of the broadcast. That gives the group 4:15 to play and NBC enough time to get the trophy presentation before it signs off.

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Two things I don't like about how the USGA sets up its Open courses:

1) I don't like severely side-sloping fairways that are mowed to putting-surface speeds. I can't remember which hole at Olympic is especially like this, but there's at least one at which players will hit an iron off the tee and still have almost nowhere to land it without the ball rolling across the fairway and into the rough.

2) I don't like Open-speed greens set up such that the only way a player can keep it on the green is to hit a pie-plate-size target. Getting it close? That's one thing. Keeping it on the green with a mid-iron in your hand? There should be a target big enough for these guys, when hitting it well, to hit.

When 1 and 2 are too much in abundance, luck enters far too much into the equation. I don't mind a hard golf course, and I care not about where the winning score is in relation to par. I don't like seeing a course set up such that randomness and not relative quality of play is the difference.

Oh, and Johnny Miller gets the hell on my nerves. Not every missed shot is a choke.

7. MileHigh

The later tee times on the West Coast started in 2008.

That year at Torrey Pines, the final group on Saturday went off at 3 p.m. PDT. On Sunday, the final group went off at 1:30 p.m. PDT.

In 2010 at Pebble Beach, Saturday's final group went off at 3:50 p.m. PDT. On Sunday, it was 3:15 p.m. PDT.

NBC's schedule shows it's on from 1-7 p.m. PDT on Saturday and Sunday so figure the last group will go off around 3 p.m. PDT on Saturday and 2:30 p.m. PDT on Sunday.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, McCord has said he wouldn't go back now. Why bother?

As for the dual Opens at Pinehurst in 2014, what do the women have to gain by playing right after the men at the same joint? The course won't be as perfect as it would be otherwise and the huge grandstands won't be as full unless the USGA spreads around some freebies.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Course plays the same for everyone. And if the winner shoots 20-over, the bank still cashes the check.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Unfortunately, the Sunday round is going to put them head-to-head against the NBA Finals game.

11. MileHigh

A Game 3 of the NBA Finals. If Tiger and/or Phil is in the lead/contending, I like NBC's chances.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

More likely to be Hunter Mahan, Lucas Glover and a handful of Europeans struggling to break par.

Draft saved Draft deleted