1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

112th U.S. Open at The Olympic Club

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Jun 4, 2012.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Casey Martin qualified in Oregon.

Shoot, Tiger's fist pump, Martin back on the links...maybe Sergio actually has a shot at this thing.

2. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Olympic Club might be my favorite U.S. Open course because it has everything: holes that go right to left, left to right, uphill, downhill, sidehill, a surprisingly short 18th and what you never see on tour — an unreachable par 5. The Open also is my favorite event to watch because it's the only time you see players get themselves into a spot and ask themselves the same question I often ask myself when I'm playing: How in the hell am I going to make par from here?

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Love the Open and love Olympic. Not No. 1 in the rotation (that'd be Pebble), but it's a great set-up for the Open.

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I love the Open as well. I just wish CBS had it. I have a strong dislike for all things Johnny Miller. If CBS could somehow manage to pluck Mr. Michelob away from the peacock and have him take Uncle Verne's or Brother Bobby's spot, NBC's golf coverage would be useless.

5. MileHigh

Verne only works the Masters and the PGA, and he's not leaving No. 16 at Augusta until he calls it a career. I'm fine with Miller, but the rest of the Peacock lineup does nothing for me. Dreading the fat whale on ESPN the first two days.

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

The first time I hear that fat bastard attach a nickname to any of the players, I am going to crack Mercury Morris' cat in the head with an empty champagne bottle.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Let's not get carried away . . . ::)

8. MileHigh

Don't forget when it hits "happy hour" at Olympic.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

The USGA sets up the courses too difficult and the rough is usually too long. I like to see who can make the most birdies, not the fewest bogeys and double bogeys.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

You can see that any week. The Open allows us to see these guys facing a really different challenge, one familiar to all golfers but them -- the basic impossibility of the sport. It's both informative and entertaining to me.

11. MileHigh

Agreed. And unlike the Masters where you're at the same course every year, the diversity of Open courses adds a different layer of excitement to it. Plus, there's tons of coverage (10 hours Thursday and Friday).

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

A few years back, the three Opens (US, Women's and US Senior) had a total of ONE player who finished under par. One out of more than 400 starters. That's making a course too hard.

It's sort of like one class I had in university where the prof made the exam so hard that only person scored above 80 percent.

Draft saved Draft deleted