1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

111th U.S. Open Championship

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by trifectarich, Jun 14, 2011.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Even worse than Berman, think about the pairing of puffing Berman with that clown Curtis Strange ("Not even Hogan did back to back, which means.......I'm king!"). Strange comes across as the perfect example of the white-bred country clubber golfer; someone who has no clue what its like to hit balls off the astro-turf at 8 pm in the summer sky with your buddies or teeing off at the local muni at 7 am so you can get back to your family at a decent time and don't have to endure a 6 hr round. I thought he was gone/retired, damn.

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

woke up this morning and saw someone stole the cloth off of my pool table in the middle of the night. Then I saw Phil Mickelson's pants and everything started to add up.

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

2 story-lines of Day 1.

1. Bubba Watson's pants.
    2. Rory McIlroy going blitzkrieg; -4 through 10, and has the easiest part of the course. God, I hope he shoots 62 and beats Millers mark. Granted, he will shoot 92 on Sunday to lose by 20, but still........kid is dialed in right now.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It's been less offensive this year than in years past, but he still doesn't belong on the grounds.

5. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

It looks like he's wearing jeans.
    My decision of start McIlroy in the SportsJournalists.com league has paid off thus far.

6. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

He is, where he's been for the last couple months.
    Absolutely true. In fact, Riviera has been lobbying to nab an open for more than a decade. It was in the running for the Open that went to Torrey Pines in '08.

Much of the hurdle Riviera has to overcome isn't infrastructure-wise, although getting in and out of the place is anything but easy. The hurdle is the memory of the '95 PGA and those brown, crusted, spike-riddled greens combined with scores that were ridiculous. Guys like Michael Bradley and John Adams were throwing up 63s and 64s. Brad Faxon shot 63 on Sunday, which got him a spot on the '95 Ryder Cup team.

The course redeemed itself somewhat with the '98 Senior Open. In fact, David Fay did a sit-down with me and another reporter at that event and said that Riviera was "worthy of hosting an Open." Even with some ill-advised tweakings done to attract an Open, the course could absolutely host one. Just grow the kikiuyu rough up, speed the greens up and stretch things out a bit and it would more than hold its own.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

10 Pebble
    11 Congressional
    12 Olympic
    13 Merion
    14 Pinehurst
    15 Chambers Bay
    16 Oakmont
    17 Erin Hills

That good enough for you?

8. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

It would be now, hondo.

Erin Hills has no business getting an Open -- especially ahead of Riviera.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I'll be pulling for Alex Rocha to follow Thursday's 2-under round with another good effort on Friday. He's a 33-year-old Tour rookie, a former Mississippi State All-American who nearly quit playing a couple of years ago.

As Michael Corleone once said in another context, it would make a great story if Rocha hangs around to the weekend. I'm thinking the air would get prety thin for him by Saturday, though.

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Will be interesting to see how they handle it after the PGA mess at Whistling Straits.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

McIlroy's looking absolutely sick, including sticking an eagle from about 150 out on No. 8. Up to -10.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Maybe I should have stuck with my -8 pick.

Draft saved Draft deleted