1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

111th U.S. Open Championship

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by trifectarich, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I don't think there were any in 98, but there was in 2000 at Pebble.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

What McIlroy's showing at Congressional has done has made me extremely interested in The Open championship next month, which is key. He gives us a storyline heading forward. No offense to Louis Oosthuizen, but he totally felt like a one-hit wonder who took advantage of great weather conditions last year to build a huge lead at St. Andrews. I didn't watch the PGA going, wow, I wonder if Louis can win back-to-back majors? Because I don't think he'll ever win another one.

There's a tremendous wave of young talent coursing through the game right now -- McIlroy, Jason Day, Schwartzel, Dustin Johnson, Quiros, Kaymer etc. The problem is that aside from Johnson, there isn't much to look forward to for the jingoistic golf fan looking for the next big American thing. People throw Rickie Fowler's name around, but he's all flash and no dash at this point. I'll tell you who I enjoyed watching this week ... Patrick Cantlay, the kid from UCLA who won low-am honors. I don't think he's a fluke. Pretty good head on his shoulders for a 19-year-old.

Draft saved Draft deleted