1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

111th U.S. Open Championship

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by trifectarich, Jun 14, 2011.

1. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Luke Donald and Lee Westwood are co-favorites at 10-to-1; Mickelson is 12-1 and there's no Tiger. The USGA can stretch Congressional C.C. to 7,600 yards if if wishes. Weather is supposed to be good. Don't know what the odds are that the First Golfer puts in an appearance.

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Worth a laugh. Bubba Watson, Hunter Mahan, Ben Crane and Justin Fowler, being awesome.

http://bit.ly/mdC2hT

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'm in the golf biz and thought the vid was supremely lame at first, but then realized this isn't bad for the game's image. It's certainly no worse than the Super Bowl Shuffle.

As for the Open, watch Thurs/Fri for guys teeing off on the 10th hole, a monster par-3 over water. Not what you want for your first shot of the day. Should be fun.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

No. 6 will be fun to watch. They stretched it from a long par-4 to a risk-reward par-5. No. 18 will be a bear. Even the long hitters will have 200-plus downhill into a green with a lake on the left and sand on the right.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Always a fun tournament with an expected off-beat winner. Not the greatest Open track when compared to recent and future courses. Feels like a return to Olympia Fields when compared to being at Torrey in 2008, Pebble in 2010 and going to Olympic in 2012. Non-American probably a 1-3 bet to win it, but expect some fireworks at 18 (it was 17 in 1997) and Johnny Miller to say some candid stuff.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

For some reason I really like Jason Day this week.

7. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Just took a look at the course. Hopefully they make the pin placement impossible on No. 10 and 18, just for kicks.

8. hunter121

hunter121 New Member

Always a fun tournament with an expected off-beat winner.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I like Kuchar or Kim.

10. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

If they put the hole at 18 as far back and as far left as they can go on Sunday, the scores will look like the D Flight from a member-guest. I hope NBC has the tape ready from Monty playing that hole on the last day in '97; it's 10 priceless seconds of what it's like to be in the hunt in the last 5 minutes of the U.S. Open.

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

You can have the Masters, and I understand why it's popular. But this is always my favorite tournament. I don't watch much golf on TV, but I almost always make sure to watch this tournament, especially the final round. It's always thrilling and entertaining.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

There's some concern that the rough hasn't grown enough thanks to a recent heatwave in the D.C. area. Also, the greens aren't rolling as fast as the USGA wants. Scores may be a bit lower than in U.S. Opens past. I'm guessing something like -8 will win it this week.

Draft saved Draft deleted