1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

110th U.S. Open running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Jun 12, 2010.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Re: 110th U.S. Open open running thread

When the consortium including Clint Eastwood, Arnold Palmer and Peter Uebberoth bought Pebble Beach from the Japs, they hired a consulting firm to calculate what they should charge per round. At the time, it was about $250. They told them they could double the rate and not lose a customer.

Guess what?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Pebble is $525. Spyglass is about $225 now but you can get a discount somewhere below that. Spyglass is wonderful, more difficult but not as scenic as Pebble (nothing beats 7, 8, 9, 10, 17 & 18.)

The weather has been spectacular this past week and I think it will stay that way this week.

I'd love to see some youngster like AK or Fowler win but I'll settle for Kenny Perry or some old guy. Please, just someone with some personality (sorry no Lucas Glover/Stewart Cink.) Golf is so funny, think about what the stories would have been last year if Perry, Duval, Watson & Woods had won instead of Cabrera/Glover/Cink/Yank.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Always a fun debate. The thing about a course like that is that I'd want to play it twice--once to drool over the surroundings and playing like complete shit, the second time to actually concentrate on the golf. But a grand for two rounds...ugh.

Though if I could go out there with my Dad, I'd pay.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Good call on playing twice.

5. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

AK is out (surgery on thumb). Fowler didn't make it through qualifying. Justin Rose, who won at Memorial last week, didn't make the field either.

Lefty finished five shots back at Pebble in February to Dustin Johnson and obviously will be the smart money. I look for a guy like Tim Clark or Hunter Mahan to make a huge splash and win their first major this week, a la Geoff Ogilvy in 2006 (with the assist from Phil).

Clark and Mahan are good players on the cusp. Both have enjoyed success on the big stage (Mahan during Ryder Cup and President's Cup), and Clark winning The PLAYERS in May.

Both are ready to breakout to the big time.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Yeah I knew but forgot to write that AK and Fowler were out which is why I was whimsical about it.

Aside from Tiger, almost inevitably, the Open goes to a no-name. North with 2? Glover? Campbell? Jones? Some grinder who makes the brutal 4 footers on sun-baked greens. Don't think the greens at Pebble will be baked but they'll be rolling. I'm thinking someone like Zach Johnson or Luke Donald or perhaps Nick Watney.

I've been fortunate to have played Pebble twice (summer time too) and those water holes are just beautiful. 14 is a brutal par 5 uphill. Funny thing is that there are definitely some nondescript holes; 1 &2 are basic, 3&4 okay, 12 is a comedown after being along the coast, 15 is blah. 16 is kinda cool down the hill into a green surrounded by trees and sets you up for the spectacular 17 & 18.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I've played Pebble like 70 times. Never paid once.

Unfortunately, every round came on various editions of Tiger Woods EA Sports games for my PlayStation.

I like blacktitlest's Tim Clark pick. Agree that he's due for a big win.

8. Re: 110th U.S. Open open running thread

My old bosds bet on Martin Kamer - at 50-1. He's the 11th ranked player in the world.
    I'm not sold on Kamer but I think a European wll capture the Open.

9. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Played Pebble after the Amateur. Shot mid 90's and played my arse off! mad respect for lefty and the gang, was hitting flop shots on defense all day

10. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

We were up there on vacation once. Had lunch in the clubhouse and I bought a shirt in the pro shop. Later that day, we were on the famed 17-mile drive that goes through the course. It was after 6 p.m., the place was empty. There is a par-3 right next to a scenic view stop (I don't remember what hole it is).
    I was so tempted to grab my 5-iron out of the trunk, tee one up and let it fly.
    My wife convinced me it would not be a good idea to spend the rest of our vacation in jail.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

For golf nuts, I'd assume playing a course like Pebble Beach is like playing a slow-pitch softball game in Yankee Stadium or Fenway, or getting some buddies together for a backyard football game at Lambeau. $525 is a lot of money to plunk down on a regular basis, but to make the trip and do it once might be the experience of a lifetime.

12. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

If it was indeed #16 on Cypress Point the jail time might have been worth it. http://www.libertyship.com/cp/cb/16a.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted