1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

11 things I'd do if I ran a news org

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Sep 15, 2009.

1. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

I often feel like our profession is not respected in the sense that everybody thinks they can do it. Every loser out there that writes a blog thinks they are a journalist and are doing the same thing we're doing. Every newspaper that uses these thinktank things believes that our jobs are just expendable to any moron off the street. It's a total slap in the face for those of us who grinded through journalism school.

It doesn't work that way for lawyers, plumbers, electricians, architects or anything else that requires specialized education and/or training and it sure as shit shouldn't work that way for journalism.

2. cwilson3

cwilson3 Member

If I ran a news org, I'd quit.

3. Karl Hungus

Karl Hungus Member

If this is directed at writers, this was a sticking point for me:

I understand that it's important to address unknowns: maybe a follow-up is appropriate sometimes. But in all honesty, people in TV especially, don't know as much as a writer. Nor does it make it to air, even if they know it. The reality, though not always true, is that more television stations are employing reporters that A.) are getting their day's story ideas from the newspaper B.) are trying to win the audience over with visually interesting, fluffier stories that don't merge paths with what makes good written stories C.) Typically, you have 1:30 at the most to tell a story with sound and writing, combined

Every J-School should make point No. 7 required reading.

Agreed. In all honesty, some of the best 9/11 anniversary reading I've done in a few years was on this site, when someone posted the sequence of AP updates. Emotional reading, for sure. Same with a link to SI's vault. Links through the archives capture the moment much more.

4. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

WFW

5. CA_journo

CA_journo Member

From the comment jlee mentioned...

You're right. Free doesn't pay the bills. So how about paying up to read online stories, huh? We've got bills too.

6. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Really? What is the harm of covering anniversary events that are/were important?
    I've seen some horrific articles about dogs and cats in newspapers. What's wrong with some articles on anniversaries of significance?
    I repeat, I am not crazy about them but no stories on anniversaries like 9/11? And in smaller towns the big cathedral turns 100? Nothing on it? I don't read anniversary stories, but I don't understand boycotting them.

Great post about our bosses thinking anybody can do our jobs. Uh ... they can't. This guy wants the "holes" in our stories exposed. He wants cellphone updates on corrections minor and major? My god.

I'd like to point out some of the deficiencies/problems in the health care system after dealing with an illness in teh famly the last 2 months. I've seen some mistakes minor and major by doctors/hospitals etc. Yet their mistakes aren't pointed out by their bosses. I've heard no apologies. Nothing but cockiness from the higher ups.
    Newspaper reporters get no support from the editors. Anybody can do our jobs, you know.

Ok blast me for saying "no support." I see incompetency in doctors, lawyers, but again, their higher ups NEVER throw those people under the bus like we're being thrown under the bus with anonymous reader comments, etc.

I'm tempted to write a story on my experience with the health care system and those doing the diagosing, etc., but am hesitant to do so because good luck to me getting an appointment for my famly member in the future if I do so.

Draft saved Draft deleted