1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

11 shot dead at Pittsburgh synogogue

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Baron Scicluna, Oct 27, 2018.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Ongoing situation. Man walks in, reportedly shouts, "Jews must die!"

Eight dead now, others wounded. Suspect has surrendered.

8 Dead, Several Others Shot At Pittsburgh Synagogue

Suspect's a white male. Too soon?

2. melock

melock Well-Known Member

3. melock

melock Well-Known Member

4. melock

melock Well-Known Member

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm sitting here absolutely dumbfounded, struggling to process this one. Tree of Life is walking distance from the house I lived in until I was eight. I attended services and religious classes there. We had my daughter's baby naming there and I still know some members of the congregation. I'm actually waiting to hear if they are all okay.

Edit: Just heard back from a close friend of the family who is a member of the congregation that she and her husband are okay. No other details, though.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
    cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  6. melock

melock Well-Known Member

7. melock

melock Well-Known Member

8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

My friend works Temple security in our town and has since 9/11. Looks like he'll have to upgrade to automatic rifle.

For those who don't know, "davening" (DAH-vuh-ning) is Yiddish for praying.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'm stunned beyond words.

10. melock

melock Well-Known Member

11. outofplace

This is why, when I posted about this on the politics thread, I wrote that Trump's first tweet was appropriate. Of course, he had to fuck it up.

12. outofplace

I did a Google search on the guy. This narrative should be interesting. Assuming the reports are correct, and that is a very big assumption, Bowers is a white supremacist who has posted anti-Jewish rhetoric in the past.

Bowers has also tweeted that he does not support President Trump. Never mind the fact that his ideology seems to fit in with Trump supporters, this is the detail they will cling for as long as the story remains in the news.

Draft saved Draft deleted