1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

11 people, including 3-year-old, shot at South Side park

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Sep 20, 2013.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

He was trying to enter the Christian conservative group’s headquarters with the intent to kill as many employees as possible.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Which means he gets dismissed as a nut and it's forgotten about.

He kills 20-30 people, and it's national news. When it becomes national news, it becomes part of a national discussion. Then it hits home for the people affected by it.

Look at Newtown. That affected a lot of people who have children and made them think about, and/or rethink their views.

3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, this is your answer. It happens too often in some areas, so the public is not shocked by it. Add in the fact that shootings in these areas are often gang- or drug-related and the public doesn't have as much reason to fear it as much. This appears to be a somewhat random act, but the article linked says it happened in a "heavily gang-infested area."

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

So, how do you reconcile this? The story was generating national attention, but nobody cares?

And this is how the story is written now. Did the Reverend change his tune?
    http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20130920/back-of-yards/rahm-cancels-dc-trip-after-13-people-shot-back-of-yards

And this is from the above link, to back up my previous point:

Sources said the "Brick Squad" gang faction, a South Side band of the Vice Lords, P Stones and Gangster Disciples, was involved in the shooting.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

what if he burst in on a Klan meeting or an Al Queda meeting? Pre-emotive attack?

Kill Hitler in 1929 would have been murder, in 1939 mercy.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Here's a real hard question for you: What stopped him from killing 20-30 people?

7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

They're only JV shooters. They may work just as hard, but Zimmerman, the Washington Navy Yard and Sandy Hook shooters are varsity.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

A security guard. The story doesn't say if the guard was armed during the time of the attack. There is a quote from the FRC presideidnt at the end that says that after the attack, guards are now armed, which means that the guard must not have been armed before.

Which shows the effect an armed attack can have on people, which was my point to begin with.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Not one iota. You nuts?

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

What he said.

11. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

The reason chicago doesn't get much attention is because it is the same damn cycle.

People shot, nobody snitches, marches to stop the violence, people get shot....

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Somehow the stop snitching culture has to change. I know it's about distrust of the police and I wouldn't blame African Americans for that. But it's clearly detrimental to life in these areas and sooner or later, people need to realize it or die. I wonder how many people who could have given the police information on shootings but didn't later became victims of the same thugs?
    That's why it boiled my blood when I heard Chris Rock, I guy I usually like, complain in a live performance that Tupac and Biggie could get killed in the middle of a busy street but the cops didn't care to solve the crime. In each case, the cops and prosecutors specifically said it was the unwillingness of witnesses to talk.

Draft saved Draft deleted