1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

11 dead in shooting at Virginia Beach municipal building

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by FileNotFound, May 31, 2019.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I couldn’t get past the early stages once I realized the lead was going to be a really, really long anecdotal thing.

2. melock

melock Well-Known Member

3. Fred siegle

Fred siegle Well-Known Member

Wow great article, very well written. Maybe not historically accurate as pointed out in many of the comments, but some of that is apples and oranges (Indian massacres, massacres by indians, etc.). This guy was walking around shouting people he believed wronged him in some way (and some innocent bystanders and children). Reminds me of the Uber driver in Minnesota who was doing jobs and also randomly shooting people in between. (The difference being “random”).
    Also mentioned in the comments was the coincidence that the boy who hid in the closet’s Granddaughter hid in the closet in the Florida school shooting and survived. Is coincidence the right word?

4. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

5. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

How many PTSD vets do we have at home right armed with enough weapons to kill off a small town?

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  6. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I don't know.

I am a vet. I don't have PTSD. I have enough firearms to kill off a small town. You'll notice I said firearms and not weapons. I own self defense and hunting guns. I don't own an assault rifle and don't have any reason to need one, so I'm about as unlikely to shoot up some place as someone who has never even held a gun.

OscarMadison and Inky_Wretch like this.
  7. tapintoamerica

What do you think of legalized silencers? The argument— as I understand it — is that silencers protect hunters’ hearing.

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

As a lawyer I respect facts not conclusions or opinions; so when was the last time an assault weapon was used defensively?

When was the last time someone had to shoot someone when no other alternative was available? I know it’s happened but it’s solely out of proportion to how many times guns are used for deadly purposes.

OscarMadison and tapintoamerica like this.
  9. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

People don't have a real need for silencers, high capacity magazines, or bump stocks. They have no application for hunting or home defense. Making all illegal is not a violation of the 2nd Amendment. They aren't arms; they are accessories. In other words, they are for people with short dicks who must compensate.

HanSenSE, qtlaw, Iron_chet and 2 others like this.
  10. tapintoamerica

Steven Wright: “If you shout a mime, should you use a silencer?”

Fred siegle and HanSenSE like this.
  11. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

The “don’t glorify the shooter” mindset started with the NRA.

I will say I am noticing much more focus on the people murdered in this shooting. I sort of like that. Don’t want the shooter, NRA? Here’s the people slaughtered. How’s that?

Something to keep in mind at your next budget meeting. Do those even happen anymore?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
    Smallpotatoes likes this.
  12. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

We have two million people currently in the reserves or actively serving.

We just keep creating more gun advocates every year. Not just advocates, but entrenched cold dead hand advocates.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
Draft saved Draft deleted