1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

10th anniversary of the 9/11/2001 terrorist attacks

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Point of Order, Aug 30, 2011.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Any chance that a majority of broadcasters today at various sporting events DON'T refer to the flag being at half-mast, rather than at half-staff?

It's only at half-mast if it's on a boat or at a harbor/naval base, etc.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I don't always (read: rarely) agree with you, but holy crud is that one of my pet peeves.

3. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

MSNBC is showing NBC's broadcast from that morning. This is chilling.

4. printdust

printdust New Member

They do that every year. And yeah, it still is as cold as it was that day. I think most of the anchors were talking in shock.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Perhaps the most chilling part is that they gave up on Ashleigh Banfield for Rachel Maddow

6. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Flight 93 Interceptors Unarmed, Planned to Ram the Plane

By Dan De Luce (AFP) [​IMG]

WASHINGTON — A F-16 pilot scrambled on 9/11 to prevent another attack on the US capital says she was prepared to ram her plane into a hijacked aircraft -- as there was no time to arm her plane with missiles.

Seeing another hijacked airliner was barreling towards Washington, Heather Penney, then a lieutenant in the Washington DC National Guard, was one of two pilots ordered to take off without delay, she said in a recent interview.

The threat of an attack on US soil was seen as such a remote possibility at the time that the 121st fighter squadron at Andrews Air Force base outside Washington had no fully-armed fighter jets on standby.

With only 105 lead-nosed bullets on board, Penney and Colonel Marc Sasseville took to the skies, while two other F-16s waited to be armed with heat-seeking AIM-9 missiles, Penney told C-SPAN television this week.

The pilots had orders from the White House to take out any plane that refused to heed warnings and land, so the two pilots agreed on their plan.

"We wouldn't be shooting it down. We would be ramming the aircraft because we didn't have weapons on board to be able to shoot the airplane down," Penney said.

As they were putting on their flight gear, "Sass looked at me and said, 'I'll ram the cockpit.'

"And I had made the decision that I would take the tail off the aircraft," she said.

Penney said she "knew if I took off the tail of the aircraft, that it would essentially go straight down and so the pattern of debris would be minimized."

She said she thought about possibly ejecting just before impact.

"I would essentially be a kamikaze and ram my aircraft into the tail of the aircraft. I gave some thought to, you know, would I have time to eject?"

When she took the plane down the runway, she said she believed it be the last take-off of her life. n the end, Flight 93 never reached Washington, as passengers assaulted the hijackers in the cockpit and the plane crashed in a field in Pennsylvania. http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5imUQFwU9uz7ofP6V7X06tplAllEQ?docId=CNG.f3d0496e61d6319e8fba0ef25f77bfcd.2a1

7. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

The special on CBS had some chilling stuff. People who were there would say how loud the sound was when bodies of people who jumped was when they hit the pavement. Fuck me ... it was like an explosion.

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I read something on the night of 9/11/01 from a first responder who was there. She'd blogged about how people's limbs were coming off the torsos when they smacked onto the ground, the force was that great.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

One of the things that really struck me about 9/11 was seeing people in other nations gathering for memorial services after the attacks. And even over the weekend, seeing the remembrances in England - still struck me.
    I think in the US we've always tended to be a little self-centered, when there is an earthquake in Haiti or Japan, or some other tragedy in the world we're used to responding in some way, but seeing other nations reach out to us - "the greatest nation in the world" - was humbling, in a good way.
    We are not an island. We really have never been, and on 9/11 we realized the bad and the good that comes with that.

10. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

My wife and I watched some of that last night, plus some stuff on the History Channel. Ten years ago we didn't have TV at work and the Internet was still pretty young (if you could even get into a website with the high traffic that day), so the first time I saw any TV was that evening. I must say, watching the coverage last night showed me once again why I like Brokaw, especially after reading what he wrote for "Parade."

11. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Editorial from Pakistan

http://nation.com.pk/pakistan-news-newspaper-daily-english-online/Opinions/Editorials/13-Sep-2011/A-failed-war-on-terror

"For the US, the ten-year old unfinished war on terror it vaingloriously sponsored has been an utter failure; for the region where it is being waged, a story of death and destruction; and for the world as a whole, a source of pervasive insecurity."

"And anyone familiar with the ground realities of Afghanistan would debunk President Obama’s claim that Al-Qaeda has been put on the back foot; on the 10th anniversary of 9/11, its militants injured 77 NATO soldiers at a base in Wardak, proving to the world that the US was withdrawing from the hornet’s nest of Afghan resistance badly mauled"

"Should one then question Obama’s remark, “We preserved our values. We preserved our character.” Could he have desisted from uttering the words, “God is our refuge and strength,” if he had reflected on the conduct of the war? For, the sole reliance of the US in this accursed war has been the brutal use of military might."

Draft saved Draft deleted