1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

10th anniversary of the 9/11/2001 terrorist attacks

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Point of Order, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Notre Dame women's basketball coach Muffet McGraw had a seat on Flight 175 and canceled it:

http://www.indystar.com/article/20110908/SPORTS0604/109080386/Lopresti-Notre-Dame-s-McGraw-silent-about-9-11

She still won't talk about it, 10 years later.

2. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

For those interested in the air traffic control conversations on 9-11.

The 9/11 Tapes: The Story in the Air

A selection of audio recordings from the Federal Aviation Administration (F.A.A.), North American Aerospace Defense Command (Norad) and American Airlines from the morning of Sept. 11, 2001. The recordings, some of which have been published previously, are being released in a multimedia report originally intended to be part of the Sept. 11 Commission’s 2004 report.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/09/08/nyregion/911-tapes.html

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

CNN's now reporting of an unspecified "credible" threat for Sunday. I'm tempted to put a snide remark in here, but it's best I don't.

4. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Fantastic piece written about my local firehouse (and a couple of my firefighter friends), written by some guy named Mike Harris:
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/sep/8/everyday-reminders/?page=all#pagebreak

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

They broke into Big Brother in New York so the mayor and an FBI agent could scare the shit out of us in every vague way possible -- but tell us not to panic and to go on with our lives.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Nice job Moddy.

I know that book really touched you. Must have been a tough, but rewarding story to do.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Obviously hope nothing happens, but I'm afraid the wolf-crying is going to come back and bite law enforcement at some point.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Confirmed but not corroborated - sounds ilke a report from ESPN.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Saw that in USA Today the other day. Interesting read.
    Seth MacFarlane ("Family Guy") was also supposed to be on one of the planes (Flight 11) but got drunk the night before and missed the flight by a few minutes.

10. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

This is a pretty crazy story from WSJ about a National Guard pilot who was above Washington after the Pentagon was hit.

http://online.wSportsJournalists.com/article/SB10001424053111904836104576559260412097814.html?mod=WSJ_hp_LEFTTopStories

11. printdust

printdust New Member

I'm going to go fishing this weekend and while there, throw a rock into the water in appropriate remembrance of Osama bin Laden.

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I feel for those who suffered the terrible losses on 9/11;

I feel for those who have served in Iraq and Afghanistan since 9/11;

I am pissed that those in charge on 9/11 chose to leverage the pain and suffering into the loss of basic human rights and the use of nearly unlimited funds to INCREASE THE GOVERNMENT TREMENDOUSLY;

I am very disappointed that nearly 10 years later the US remains in Iraq and Afghanistan.

I asked my high school buddy who was a Delta Force member then immediately after 9/11 could it have been prevented? He said not without the basic freedoms we have come to enjoy as Americans.

Draft saved Draft deleted