1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

10th anniversary of the 9/11/2001 terrorist attacks

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Point of Order, Aug 30, 2011.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The past decade hasn't been kind to either one of 'em.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

They've both aged, that's for sure. but Beckwith -- the Firefighter -- is 79. He looks old because he is old.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Well, he looked pretty good at 69. I'm sure working at ground zero wasn't good for his health.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I learned VH1 is re-airing the Concert for NY on Sunday. Sounds like a plan. When everything went down - the next couple of months were a blur - oh we still had to do the pointless, stupid shit, but we also had to find stories that were "patriotic."

I actually had to cover an elementary school concert a few months later because the kids would be singing God Bless America and be waving flags. That's not to say all of the assignments were bad - in a way I'm very grateful to have been doing that at the time because it allowed me a sense that I was contributing to something meaningful while also kind of dealing with the shock myself.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Still the most clearheaded thinking and writing about that day.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2007/11/just-asking/6288/

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

President Obama disagrees.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Most Americans do.

Seems to me they're wrong to do so.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

September 11, 2001 was the day that I, for all intents and purposes, decided I didn't want to be a daily newspaper sports writer for the rest of my life. I understand that a lot of people probably went through the same thing - that their jobs and life and pursuits were trivial. But until that day, I was ignorant of a world beyond the playing field and damned proud of it. I was cynical toward people who actually - gasp - cared. In a word, I was a snot.

I still don't know if I'll do anything important with my life. But at least now I'm must more aware of the world around me. I probably went from about the first percentile of informed Americans to the 99th percentile now.

I was profoundly, profoundly affected by that day. I can't remember if I cried. I know I was scared for a few hours. Emotionally, it's hard for me to connect sometimes with tragedy that is removed from my immediate sphere. But as a sheer news event, it made me ashamed of how I'd been dawdling along, fucking calling myself a journalist when I didn't deserve the name.

9. Boom_70

The counterpoint:

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion/opedcolumnists/keeping_new_york_safe_cAfp5g6UWApaIcgK8Vs9lK

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Nothing in what DFW wrote states or implies that we not take "reasonable precautions."

He's also saying no amount of "reasonable precautions" will ever make us 100% safe. A point on which I'm sure Commissioner Kelly would agree.

11. Boom_70

Don't disagree with anything DFW wrote. He asks the right question. What is the right balance between freedom and safety.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I just hope Az links to the DFW column a few more times. Someone might still be unaware of it.

At this point, I fell like I'm about t be "Rick Rolled" every time Az posts a link.

(In other news, the "z" key on my keyboard is being very uncooperative.)

Draft saved Draft deleted