1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

10th anniversary of the 9/11/2001 terrorist attacks

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Point of Order, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Anyone who voluntarily goes into Manhattan on 9/11 is beyond insane.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It was my suggestion in 2001 that 9/11 be memorialized by making it Election Day in the U.S., as the original reasons for having it in November vanished over a century ago. We are no longer an agricultural society where the horse is the means of transportation.
    This would have the added benefit of making most TV political ads go on the air in August, when everyone's out of the house and won't see them. But my main point is that it would be a nice way of stating our belief in our system whoever tries to knock it down.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I used to love anniversary packages. I'd do them all the time and pitch them even more often. Mostly for exactly the reasons you state. Easy enterprise.

Chalk this up as in the category of Ways We Change. I had a later sports editor who thought they were arbitrary and not of great reader interest, and wanted us way more focused on what's happening now.

I don't think that they are terrible ideas, in that we do like to stop and take inventory of how we've changed and what impact events have had on us. And we think in years and benchmarks. But I think we probably overdo it as easy enterprise and content.

I also hate birthdays these days. Just another day to me. My wife and I clash about that all the time.

4. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

There has been some discussion of making it a "National Day of Service," but logistically, it comes too close to Labor Day to add as a federal "Day of Remembrance."

I am gonna hate all of this. Yes, it's important, but it's still pretty easy -- especially on the local level -- to overdo important stuff.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

http://911dayofservice.org/

I remember covering a campus-wide event at a local college where the school president asked the students to think about how they can make the world a better place. That phrase has always stuck with me.
    You can't "mandate" service - and I'm sure it would only be a matter of time before we saw "Patriot's Day" sales with mattress combos available for $911.

6. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Why is that?

Of course, some of us have no choice but to be in Manhattan that day. Doesn't worry me. I figure on THAT day, it's probably the safest place on the planet.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

this.

some historical dates need not have 'holiday' attached to them to make sure people never forget. this was the modern pearl harbor. just as dec. 7 'lived in infamy' thereafter, so does and will 9/11. and the news packages that come as a result ARE important, even if a cynical few are weary of it. it's important not so much that WE never forget, 'cause anyone who was at least 5 or so is never likely to forget 9/11 or the weeks ollowing it.

it's important because every year there is a new audience of people coming of age who get to experience it -- or a sense of it -- who bring fresh eyes and ears to it. who are learnin about i all for the first time.

that's why these 'packages' and remembrances are vital, imo.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Because the Douchebags of all Douchebags love symbolism . . and eliminating a few thousand more New Yorkers on the tenth anniversary would make their year.

10. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

No argument on the d-bags' love of symbolism. But as far as days of everyone being on high alert with big security, the 10th anniversary won't be matched. It's the random days no one is *expecting* that worry me more.

11. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

I have never understood why we rarely, if ever, see the images of the towers on 9/11. We should be reminded of this terrible day on a daily basis and I can't think of a better way than to show the towers after the attack.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I'm not looking for another multiple-airplane strike. But some creep who's been embedded in Manhattan for months and years can trot out his car full of explosives at any number of nifty points, gin up a ton of fear and rack up some bodies. Remember what BO said a couple of weeks ago . . . this is his
    paramount present fear, and don't believe he's far wrong.

Draft saved Draft deleted