1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

10th anniversary of the 9/11/2001 terrorist attacks

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Point of Order, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Is it way to early to start a thread on the 10th anniversary of 9/11? Why hell yes it is. But MSNBC is already running promos for their 9/11 special, called "Day of Destruction, Decade of War" so why not us. So, it will be on a Sunday this year, which for most of the working public means no moment of silence or other recognition at work. I suppose for the church-going it will be a big topic, and Sunday newspaper sales might get a slight bump. Of course, most sports journos will be working just as they do most every other holiday.

What other significance do you see? Should we make it a federal holiday? (I think so just because I think we have the fewest recognized holidays of any developed country, but coming the week after Labor Day would probably be a logistical/mental [just too close together] problem for employers). Are the other nets running 9/11 promos already? Will you do anything to commemorate the day?

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

A holiday?

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

If Pearl Harbor was never made a holiday, this shouldn't be either.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Ditto x 1000.

If any day should be a holiday, it's the day Osama took a bullet to the brain.

5. Point of Order

I'd be for adding both.

6. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

The new New York Magazine is dedicated entirely to Sept. 11. There's the obligatory Frank Rich column but then it's a Sept. 11 Encyclopedia, the tragedy A-Z and it's amazing. It might be a bit much going through it online, but if you get a chance pick up the magazine.

http://nymag.com/news/articles/wtc/

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Can't wait to see what the Times comes up with. They've been planning the 10-year anniversary section since Sept. 12, 2001.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Anniversaries of notable events are the mothers milk of journalism. News managers love them because they can plan for them weeks and months out and give them something to do at their meetings.
    Obviously this is a big one, no event in my lifetime has cast as long shadows as 9/11 even thousands of miles away from Ground Zero.
    We still have troops overseas, we're still trying to figure out how to pay for it...I wonder if anyone is going to do an essay on post-9/11 life in America asking the question "Was it worth it?" The cost in lives and dollars, the increased security measures, the PATRIOT Act, all of it. There really isn't an easy answer to that question.
    I'd also like to see a Where are they Now - the retired firefighter standing with President Bush, the dopes who sent powdered envelopes to friends as a joke following the Anthrax scares, Johnny Taliban, the families of the fallen, the 9/11 widows, fathers and mothers and sons and daughters who have served...
    I know I will be forever grateful for those who chose to step up at this critical time, well aware of the risks and conditions, but probably never imagining we would still be in Afghanistan fighting 10 years later.

9. printdust

printdust New Member

What in the name of Osama's aquarium home will Fox and CBS do when they realize there's nothing more than four hours of coverage Sunday morning that they can give up?

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

If the government didn't make it a holiday the year after the attacks, they're sure not going to make it now.

And if they ever did, I'm afraid it would become just be another day to have a barbecue or go see a movie.

11. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Personally I will be trying to avoid all coverage but know full well I won't be able to resist.

As someone in his 20s, that event is the biggest one of its type in my life. It is the only national event that I remember every detail of the day it happened. With that, just seeing the images linked to it forever bother me emotionally.

I was just a sophomore in high school when it happened. I had just finished my final ISTEP of my life. The school chose not to tell us when the first plan hit because we had just an hour left before being done for the year. I remember the first hint of what was going on was when everyone was standing around talking waiting for the bell to ring. Out of 150 or so students I was one of only a dozen or so that heard the announcement over all the noise. It was our assistant principal saying, "To the sophomores who just finished testing, we have been bombed. Please go directly to your next class." Those of us who heard were all standing around trying to figure out if others heard the same thing.

Anyways, 9/11 stuff really bothers me but I can't turn away at the same time.

12. Point of Order

I would like to know where Aaron Brown is now. Remember that was his breakout moment on CNN and he was able to ride the wave for a few months. Also, Deborah Norville was supposed to be starting a 6 month sit-out due to a no-compete but instead she went from Fox (I think I have this right) on 9/10 to CNN on 9/11.

Draft saved Draft deleted