1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

    Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

    We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

1099 question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rosie, Feb 4, 2008.

  1. Rosie

    Rosie Active Member

    This probably belongs on the journalism board. If it needs to be moved, I apologize in advance.

    I have a 1099 from a paper I am no longer associated with, and it's incorrect. Let's just say there's a lot of bad blood (on both sides), so contacting them is out of the question.

    Before I start trudging through the IRS site, has anyone had this situation and how did you handle it? I like to have everything complete and ready to go when I go in for the annual tax visit.
  2. Ace

    Ace Well-Known Member

    Wow. Good luck with that.

    For your sake, I hope it's for a lot less than they actually paid you, but somehow, I sense that's not the case.

    I fear you are going to have to go back to the bean counters at the paper and tell them they erred and ask for a new one.
  3. spup1122

    spup1122 Guest

    You're going to have to be able to prove it, though. I hope you have a pay stub or something.
  4. WazzuGrad00

    WazzuGrad00 Guest

    What kind of 1099 is it?

    I take it that it's incorrect in the paper's favor? How incorrect is it?
  5. alleyallen

    alleyallen Guest

    Incorrect in what way? I'm about to teach a class related to 1099s, so it would help to know. PM if you're not comfortable talking about it on the thread.
  6. rallen13

    rallen13 Member

    If it is in their favor, the powers at the rag will likely be glad to help you. If it is in yours, they would probably rather help you than answer to the IRS for failure to do so. It is their legal responsibility. Call 'em. The IRS is stronger than they are.
  7. 21

    21 Well-Known Member

    It probably doesn't matter in the long run, since you don't report your income separately for each employer. Do you file jointly with Mr Rosie? Do you have other 1099s, investments, tax statements, etc? They almost never add up perfectly, unless the mistake is really big.

    Probably the wrong advice, but my accountant tells me that every year. I'd send a fax to the accounting dept anyway, asking for the corrected 1099, and if you don't get one, attach a copy of your request to the bad 1099. Then file a return for the correct amount.
  8. Rosie

    Rosie Active Member

    Yes, I can prove the amount paid is incorrect.

    I have a better chance of those nice Nigerian gentlemen sending me legitimate money than getting a corrected 1099 from them. It's a small paper, and it's a one-person business 'office.'

    I would love to go into more detail but it isn't a good idea.
  9. Dirk Legume

    Dirk Legume Active Member


    You can prove it. I beleive their is a way to file an amended 1099 or something like that. You wont have to talk to the SOB"s that are doing this to you (and they must be as I don't think I have ever seen you have a cross word for anyone) but the IRS will check with them to make the numbers match. It is their responsibility as an employer.

    I am almost certain that someone on the IRS website or helpline can make this pretty easy for you.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Share This Page