1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

104-car pileup in Denver

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Mar 1, 2014.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Apparently that was a completely freak incident . Hwy 400 is always a problem in the winter but from what I heard it went from a nice sunny day to total white-out in about two seconds.

I'm amazed that no one was killed.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Guy I know was on his way to North Bay for the Battalion - Storm game, said everything was fine then all hell broke loose. Initially thought he'd dislocated his shoulder from where the seat belt yanked into it when he wrecked, turned out to be badly bruised.

From my days on the road in the OHL the worst stretch for whiteouts was the 402 between London and Sarnia, Hwy. 6 to and from Owen Sound (hey JJ!) was no treat either.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

But then how would the pizza be delivered?

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Colorado consistently has the worst driving conditions in the country. Obviously, it doesn't have the traffic issues other cities have, but when you're talking about a place where it snows one day, is 60 the next day and then freezing the next day, the roads are going to be covered in black ice. It's insane.

Other places get that now and then, but it's consistently an issue in Colorado, more so than in other places.

5. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Drove Wolf Creek Pass a few times in the 70s. Same stretch of road?

Trust it has been upgraded since then.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

There's only one way over it. :)

It's pretty much the same as I remember it. A few upgrades on the west side on the climb up. Lots of skiers and snowboarders headed there this morning for the fresh 9 inches of powder that fell overnight. Wasn't too bad, especially after a storm.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

Highway 10 is marginally worse than 6, and 21 is way worse than both of them.

8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Here in North Carolina, we're getting a winter weather advisory a day after topping 70.

Draft saved Draft deleted