1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

104-car pileup in Denver

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Mar 1, 2014.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

http://www.denverpost.com/weathernews/ci_25254464/snow-related-accidents-close-westbound-i-70-at

1 dead, dozens injured.

Weird. I thought only people in the South lacked magical ice-driving powers and should shutter in at the first sign of cold.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

There was a 96-car pileup north of Toronto on Thursday. No serious injuries, I know a guy who was in the middle of it, he walked away even if his car looked like an ashtray based on the pic he posted on FB.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Did they catch the runner who jaywalked and started it? /crossthread

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Ouch!

People should stay off the roads and order in pizza.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Reefer madness

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Good point. Any report on how many drivers were stoned?

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Only slightly worse than the Super Bowl performance...

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I saw a picture of that pileup, and meant to start this thread based on it.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

The only question was I-70 or I-25.

Awful news no matter where.

10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I'm no meteorologist, but it's a wild weather weekend out west:

• Cold temps and brutal winds up north (trust me on this ... it's freezing here).

• Tons of moisture/storms in the south.

Denver often seems to be where these weather forces meet, with sometimes crazy snowstorms as the result.

Stay safe, everyone.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Here in North Texas, it was 22 degrees Thursday morning, 83 yesterday afternoon, 79 today and the forecast is calling for a low of 25 tomorrow and 16 Monday morning.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I'm in the process of driving back there. (In Pagosa tonight, hoping to get over Wolf Creek in the morning.)

It was on I-25, near the University of Denver. A disaster, even for a Saturday.

Predicting weather in Denver is one of the toughest in the country. It's just so hard to tell where systems will go when they come off the Divide.

Still, sounds like the usual suspect: Idiot people driving too damn fast because they think they're fine in their Suburu's or four-wheel drives.* I was driving over tonight as the storm was rolling in behind us out of SoCal and was extra cautious, even though the roads were just wet and not iced over. At least I didn't think they were iced over. Just slow the hell down.

* I drive a four-wheel drive but even then I never feel safe in wet/snowy/icy conditions.

Draft saved Draft deleted