1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

101 inning Little League game

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, Jun 14, 2009.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Did a search for 101 and nothing came up, so hopefully this isn't a d_b

http://news.aol.com/philanthropy/article/youth-sluggers-play-longest-charity/518251?icid=main|main|dl1|link5|http%3A%2F%2Fnews.aol.com%2Fphilanthropy%2Farticle%2Fyouth-sluggers-play-longest-charity%2F518251

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Can we get a box score?

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Yes, but the fax is down. You have to take it by call-in.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I bet there were parents angry over their kids' lack of playing time.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Better make sure all the names are spelled right. Otherwise, you could be costing 817 kids a scholarship.

6. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

That's pretty close for 101 innings.

7. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Johan was pulled with 97 pitches in the fifth.

8. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

Love how the AP repeats the lede at the very end. Just so, you know, we didn't forget.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

- 17 kids pissed themselves in left field because the half-inning went too long.
    - nine players left their glove on the bench
    - six times inside the park home runs were hit without the ball leaving the infield
    - 49 girls struck out 52 boys
    - 267 times a sibling ran out onto the field

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I was wondering why AP picked this up. It's a nice local story, but it's a freaking fundraiser. And it's not the first of its kind. Lots of teams and leagues have done this sort of thing over the years.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Why shouldn't AP pick it up? It lasted 36 hours, had all sorts of interesting stats and, while I'm no seamhead, is much better than much of what AP will leave publications to put in the national briefs wrap-up.

Would you rather have Favre and the Vikings, Day 37 - "Sides Still Optimistic" - or this?

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

1) It wasn't a competitive game that lasted that long. It was designed to go 101 innings.
    2) It was a fundraiser.
    3) It's a local story. If it happened in my town, I'd have no problem covering it and doing a nice feature story on it. When it's happening three or four states over? Meh.
    4) It's not an original idea. There have been tons of these things over the years.

Draft saved Draft deleted