1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

100th PGA Championship thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Aug 7, 2018.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That trifecta payoff would be roughly $1.6 billion.

2. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Losers.

3. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Mickelson’s win in ‘05 was at Baltusrol. On Saturday and Sunday it was about 100-105 in the shade. A thunderstorm late Sunday forced Monday golf and Mickelson almost chipped in then putted out on 18 for his second major. I never left the media tent on the weekend. Except to walk to the restaurant tent but saw the course Thursday. Aronimink should be interesting just north of Philly. I wonder if Merion will get a look since the U.S. Open doesn't seem to be interested in going back after 2013.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Considering the unwritten policy of “if you’re working with the USGA for the Open you won’t be considered for the PGA, and vice versa” Olympic Club surprises me. Unless the members are tired of the USGA baking the Shit out of their course.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Guys who win the PGA are recognized as having won a major. There's no asterisk by it or else The Players would have passed it a long time ago.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Putting in a late switch from J.J. Spaun to Harold Varner III. Trust me when I say this, but if Varner ever starts winning, he'd be one of the best things for the Tour. He's a live wire, quotable and fan-friendly.

Cosmo likes this.
  7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I'm with Redenbacher on the Fed Ex Cup.
    Have less than 0 use for that.
    Still.....would be cool to see the 10 million in the Fed Ex Cup crystal just off the first tee at the Tour Championship. Ok boys. Here's what you're playing for.
    Have at it.

8. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I'm barely in the loop having left in 2015, but PGA.com's only full-time writer/editor left last month (and is working the tournament as a freelancer). Otherwise, the site seems to be under the control of a skeleton crew of NCAA.com college interns. Without the Grand Slam (which was a ridiculous concept anyway), I get the feeling Turner has no interest in prolonging its connection with the PGA online -- unless it's worked into the deal with CBS (PGA Tournament and Ryder Cup).

Turner's pared its internet sports coverage basically down to NBA.com and NCAA.com, to match its broadcast contracts and throws money at Bleacher Report. My opinion is Golf Channel/NBC will eventually fold PGA.com and RyderCup.com into their web site, perhaps in 2019, since PGA is dependent on (and fascinated with) the rest of their coverage.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I'll be delighted to hear Uncle Verne's voice for the first time in several months.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I interviewed Varner at a Web.com event when he was just starting out and thought "there can't be anyone on the planet who doesn't like this guy."

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Ok
    I will take Koepka to win. Stupid long and very good with irons.
    Thomas in t5. Woods in t10. Dont sleep on Fowler or McIlroy.
    Would love to see Finau win.
    Darkhorse: Gary Woodland.

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Xander to win; Finau and DJ close behind

Actually with rain, should be Rory and DJ shredding it.

Draft saved Draft deleted