1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

100th PGA Championship thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Key

Key Well-Known Member

Ballesteros pull-hooked his approach to 15 after hearing the roar Jack produced when he stuffed it in there on 16 at the 86 Masters. It didn't affect Koepka on Sunday, but it's not like it hasn't ever happened.

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Just because Justin Thomas' father was a club pro doesn't mean he came from a wealthy background. Club pros are just part of the hired help at a country club. Yeah, their kids get to play there but I knew guys whose fathers were club pros and they said the rich kids never let them forget they were there only because their dad was at the counter in the pro shop. They never truly belonged.

3. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I think the biggest thing about crowd roars... and sure, Woods will get the biggest ones outside of a hole-in-one, is this:

If a tournament is tight, hearing a big roar can make a player press a bit, maybe try to hit a hero shot rather than the safe/correct shot.

I think that was definitely the case in Tiger's prime. Now, not nearly as much. Most of the under-30 crowd is unfazed and fearless out there.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Yep, those poor country club kids that golf for free.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Be to differ on Duval. He's out of golf because he lost his swing but there was never a fear factor with 'Tiger. From the time Duval won his first tournament in 1997 (he won three in a row to close the season) he won 11 times through 1999. Tiger won 13 during the same span. Tiger once told one of the national golf writers that Duval, in his prime, was the only guy he believed could beat him when Tiger had his A game.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

You missed the point. Most club pros, with the exception of guys like Bob Ford at Oakmont, make less than 100K per year. That's hardly in the 1 %

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

The son of a club pro has a lot more opportunities to receive coaching and playing time than some kid whose parents are working class with no connection to the game. At least he's getting damn near unlimited access to the driving range and putting green, not to mention equipment. Whereas parents who have their kid seeing DJ or Koepka bomb it on TV and say "I want to play golf" are gonna' but dumping a butt ton into junior lessons or clinics, equipment, range balls, more range balls and eventually a coach.

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I could buy that,

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I get that. But club pros' kids are not from wealthy families.

Draft saved Draft deleted