1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

100+ take Post buyout

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, May 23, 2008.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Never mind...he signed the rescission and is staying.

2. If you love what you do, it'll all work out. That's the important thing, after all.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

On the bright side, maybe he'll write more Swagger novels.

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I am thisclose to starting a "Collected wisdom of Joe Williams" Journalism Topics Only thread.

Once again, an excellent summation of the dire state of our beloved business, Joe.

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Aw shucks, tain't nothin'. :-[ :)

Besides, it wouldn't be hard to balance it with a thread of all my outtakes, spittakes, bloopers, royal harangues, hot air and other embarrassments, Piotr.

Bottom line, I'm learning what a divorce must feel like, a thousand fold, as friends and colleagues have the work and careers they loved ripped away from them literally or figuratively. Them that leave go with much sadness. Them that stay, it's like the hearts that brought them to this get cauterized, just so they can survive. But in truth, they're gone too.

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I would say normally you're spot-on with the post. But, it's on the wrong thread.
    The Washington Post Co. is the most diversified newspaper company in the country. A true newspaper still engaged in the greater good. Don Graham understands the responsibility.
    Wrong thread.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

We almost made it through a whole week without one of these.

8. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

I guess my only response to that, Mizzou, would be . . .

What are we getting our resumes ready for?

If there's no journalism jobs out there anymore, whose going to hire a bunch of bought out or laid off reporters and editors? I know, there are jobs out there that are similar, but as far as newspapers go, not so much.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Let me disagree strongly with the praise lavished on Donald Graham and the management of the Washington Post Co. made earlier on this thread. The Post is a corporation organized like the Times is, with two classes of stock. The stock owned by the Graham family has voting rights. The stock owned by all the other shlubs (and if you own newspaper stocks today, a shlub you are) does not.
    In theory, this allows the Graham family to manage their company without being forced to set and meet unrealistic financial targets demanded by greedy Wall Street. In practice, it means their stock is going down now, too, costing them X percent of their princely riches. And that's why the buyouts.
    A publisher is a publisher is a publisher.

10. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I don't work for The Post. So, let's get that out of the way.
    To say that the structure of The Post and The Times is similar may be technically right -- as far as stock structure -- but it's a false conclusion. They are two very different companies. Two very different holdings. The Post generates over a billion dollars more revenue per year than The Times during the toughest of periods.
    The Times is a newspaper company.
    The Post is a company which has a newspaper. A well-diversified company that has shielded the newspaper from many of the industry's woes. The educational services portion of their company is by far -- by far -- the most profitable part of their company. It has allowed the Graham Family to invest in their paper and online product for years.

Really? I've read your posts. I know you've been around long enough to know that's fallacious.
    Your choice:
    DOOR #1: Don Graham
    DOOR #2: Dean Singleton
    (Technically, neither is a publisher, but you get the disconnect.)

Draft saved Draft deleted