1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

100 Cooking Tips

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Apr 28, 2007.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'm a pretty good cook but there were some tips here I didn't know, like this one:

16. Here's a low-tech way to test the doneness of roast turkey or chicken. Poke a metal skewer into the flesh and carefully touch the tip to your hand or cheek. If it's very hot, the meat is done. (Just don't burn yourself.) This method always makes me laugh. It was passed on to me by my mother-in-law, who learned to cook without a lot of kitchen gadgets.

http://www.thestar.com/Life/article/206650

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, 160 degrees is VERY hot.

3. leo1

leo1 Active Member

true. but isn't 130 pretty damn hot, too? a 130-degree chicken isn't done.

4. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Before I give my tip, let me point out that I do very little cooking.

From an Easter mishap, make sure that when you bake cookies the baking powder is evenly distributed.

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Good stuff, JR.

18. Use refrigerated or frozen leftover potatoes, boiled, baked or mashed, to make creamy soups without cream. Add the spuds to simmering vegetables in stock, then purée.

About 10 years ago I bought Paul Prudhomme's "Seasoned America" in which the primary thickener for New England clam chowder is grated potato. (BTW, this is an extraordinary recipe, best NE chowder I've tasted.) Which got me thinking. We never eat instant mashed potatoes, but the powder is a handy thickening agent instead of flour, not just for soup but for gravy. It seems to dissolve better with less clumping than flour.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

101. When using baking powder, be sure to place the dough or mixture in a container that allows for the product to expand.

First time I made my mother's gingerbread recipe, I filled a pan to the top with the concoction... if I hadn't placed a cookie sheet under it, I'd still be picking gingerbread out of the oven-- 10 years later

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

102. Many neophyte chefs burn almost anything they bake. There's a fairly easy solution to that. Take cookies, bread, etc., out of the oven two minutes before you think you should. The reason? The baked goods continue to bake inside the pan AFTER you take them out of the oven.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Number one mistake I see neophyte cooks make with meat:

If it's done in the oven, you overcooked it.

Pull any roast slightly before you think it will be done, tent it with foil and allow it to rest. Then you can hit it with the meat thermometer, and if it isn't done, YOU CAN ALWAYS PUT IT BACK IN.

Once it's overdone, that's your ballgame.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Zeke putts onto the green of the No.1 mistake I confront: You have to let a big piece of meat rest. (No quips, stop it.)

My in-laws fixed a very nice turkey a couple of Thanksgivings ago ... pulled it out of the oven and dug right into cutting on it.

Arrrgh. That first bite in the kitchen was great, but the whole damn thing was dry by the time we got it to the table.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Another golden rule, Henry.

Another tip for entertaining:

Put out finger food that doesn't have to be scalding hot to taste good.

That way, you give yourself some flex time in the kitchen to rest meat, dress salads right before you serve them, etc.

DO NOT bow to the pressure to put everything on the table at once because "people are hungry".

Four-star restaurant chefs would not try this, yet your average mother-in-law feels the need to plate everything and serve and entire four- or five-course meal at once.

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

When cooking a filet meduim rare, four minutes per side, please.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

After you've made a large pan of kasha, don't throw it in the sink to prove a point.

Draft saved Draft deleted